Planning on Planting Next Year

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by boswifedeb, Sep 13, 2008.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Hi y'all! My husband and I are planning on having a garden next year with my sister on her property. Obviously, we'll have to have tomatoes and peppers, and a little okra and squash would be nice. I'm not sure how big it will be ( my sister and I haven't gotten that far yet!) but I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions or tricks that might help us out. My husband and I both grew up working in our parent's gardens, but it's been quite a while.

Thanks in advance for any help.:smile2:

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Debbie, put a lot of cardboard, newspapers down where you want to have the garden then put leaves, straw without seeds, grass clipping that has not had weed killer put on the grass, any kind of old plants etc on it and let it rot and compost over the winter, rake a hole in it to plant and keep putting straw and materials on it all planting season. You don't have to weed, which is a plus. I get old hay and straw from farmers, some that they can't use because of mold and some I buy after harvest. Works great and it is easy after you get started.

3. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks Bill. I guess I can send my boy out to rake my sister's yard and put the grass clippings where we are wanting to plant. Know that's gonna go over good!!:crazy::eek:oooh::smile2: He'll be happy when we start getting some good veggies out of there!

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Check around. I was able to find a horse boarding stable that not only give me all the manure I want, but load it for me. One pickup load is enough to completely cover a 20X20 ft area for a years worth of free fertilizer. They only give away the stuff that's been sitting for at least 6 months, so it's about perfect.

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    If you can get hold of a cow panel or some of that concrete reinforcing screen, stand it up on end with a post at each end to hold it up. Then plant your cucumbers at the base. It will climb up the wire or panel leaving you with more room to plant other veggies.

I always liked to make a raised area about 3 feet wide and 10 feet long. I planted lettuce, radishes and green onions in it. Mix the seeds all together and sow then plant the green onions helter skelter. Instant salad bar and as you pick it thins itself.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    When you get ready to plant your maters, put a dab(tablespoon full) in the hole. It helps prevent blossom end rot. Also growing the cucumbers on a cattle panel is the way to go i agree. I need to till mine up and add lime for next year.

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Google "chicken tractor"
    They will do the plowing, weeding and fertilizing and bug control. Although they ain't really great with the plowing.
    good luck
    just

8. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Funny enough, my husband used to work on a horse farm. Used to help him out some before my daughter was born. I've shoveled more than my share of ----- horsey douvers! Thanks Kutter.:smile2:

9. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Cool idea. We should be able to do that. I like the salad bar idea!

10. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Bob, the chicken tractor is a cute idea. But I don't think my sister would appreciate it. We're going to be using some property just behind her house, and she's not exactly the outdoorsy, animal type person that I am. If the area belonged to my husband and me, it might just happen. Thanks for the advice!

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Actually, I use those cow panels for something else. I cut mine into thirds. Turn on side and bend around into a tube shape. I used hog rings to hold it together, wire would work. Makes fantastic tomato cages that are 6 ft tall and will last a lifetime.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If bent into an arch and anchored with t-post they are nice to plant pole beans on too if space is a problem. One good tip, don't be a bone-head like me and pour miracle grow over the tops of your maters. Burnt mine to a chrisp this year.:embarassed:

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Also Kutter, does your swine wear alot of jewelry:smile2::smile2::smile2:?

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    no wonder mine died over night.

15. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Guys, thanks for all the creative ideas. Keep 'em comin'!:big_smile: