Planning another trip down

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by jconna, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Hey all....Hope everyone had a great holidays!! Been a little while since I've been on the forum but hello to everyone! Looks like some nice fish are being pulled in...Maybe a little hit and miss, but looking good! Thanks to all the information I gained from you last year, I came down around April and fished the Dutch Gap area....Had a really good time and couldn't wait to get back down. Well...I'm in the process of planning another one. :big_smile: Learned alot on my last trip but I'm stuck on something. In your opinion.....Is it worth coming down and freezing my butt off now or will I do just as well waiting for April again? Think I heard before that winter is when to pull in the pigs but memory isn't exactly my strong point! lol Tight lines to all and looking forward to talking with everyone again....
    Jeff

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'd come down now while it's still cold.

3. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Looks like its going to be March until we get down due to vacation time and the fact that my uncle doesn't want to de-winterize his boat until spring. We'll give it a good hard 4 days though and see how it goes. Learned alot last year so I'm sure things will go a little smoother this time around.

1st....He has a pontoon boat and we didn't have nearly enough anchor line to hold us in the main channel. Just pushed us along like we were a toy.

2nd...We made a mistake and tied off to a bumper (near the smoke stacks) and didn't realize the tide was going out. We went to move and the line was tight so I looked down and the right toon was probably a foot and a half out of the water. Dropped hard when I cut the line and just the pressure of the tie off holding us up in the air bent the railing pretty good. (His wife wasn't very happy about that one and we won't do a repeat!) lol

3rd...He never tried his fish finder out (new boat), and the thing would say 6 ft, 30 ft, 2 ft, 86 ft, etc, etc, when we weren't even moving. Made it impossibly hard to find nice holes but we did catch quite a few fish and had a really good time.

So anyway.....All of that will be remedied for this trip and we may even go with the guide again for the first day. Was a great guy and not only did he put us on fish but he hooked us up with bait for the next day and that was a major bonus. Never used a gill net before and would hate to spend half the day riding around looking for baitfish before we can even fish. Probably pretty easy when you're familiar with the area but that's a huge river compared to what I'm used to up here.

4. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I have found that the best months to fish for the larger blues are NOV, Dec, and Jan. You seem to catch larger fish because the smaller ones tend to leave the bait alone.. The big fish feed all year to support there hugh body. Little fish feed less often in the colder months.....(according to the master Chris Eberwein)....:cool2: If U can catch a mild rainy day with little wind, good things can happen....

5. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks for that insight....Actually makes alot of sense. That philosophy makes me want to just plan a 3 day weekend down with a guide for a day. Only a four hour drive for a chance at a really nice fish. Just might do that...

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Winter is great. Big fish. However I still prefer March year in and year out. Weather is warmer. Water temp is still cold but rising. Shad are starting to show up as well as stripers. My fishing journal tells me over the last 6 years I catch my biggest and most fish in May.

7. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Keneth,
    Did you mean March or May???
    I kind alike March the best..
    Get a couple of days that the wind isnot bad.
    my biggest is in March..
    mikeb

8. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    are right. In a hurry I typed the wrong Month. May Blows spawn spawn spawn. March is my favorite.

9. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC

Reading this makes me want to plan a trip for March.... I have been out of work for 5 months for back injury..... Going back to work tomorrow....
    My boat is ready so after a little time at work I plan on taking a couple days off and get back to the PB chase.... 70 lbder here I come... :cool2:

10. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Glad to hear you are on the mend Alan. The cats keep getting bigger and uglier up here. I imagine there is a 70 pounder with a death wish up here that's calling you out.