Planning an all day trip to the Rock....

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by bonapetit2, Oct 14, 2006.

1. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    This coming Monday. Not sure what the water temp is right now with this string of frigid weather we've had the last 5 days. The trees should be all turned to their fall colors, which will be worth the trip in itself...hopefully the cats are biting too!!
    Anyone local that wants to tag along, just post here and we'll work it out.

2. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i use to live there in rockford,i caught a 10 pd channel about this time of year out at rock cut state park.use to fish the rock river also.good luck to you.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Supposed to be a bunch of nice Flatties in the Rock. Good luck!

4. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hopefully I can find some flats, although I wouldn't mind a nice fat channel either:smile2: . Of course the forecast has moved rain into the picture for tomorrow, so it may be a messy day!

5. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Any luck?What part part of the Rock did you go?I went to Oregon a couple of weeks back and only managed to catch 1 small channel and a walleye.Both were caught on cut strips of bluegill fillet.

I dont know what type of cats your targetting,but i managed to squeeze some spots from the locals for Flats.If your in Oregon,fish on the west side of the dam by the wall.Theres a spray painted sign of a skull on the wall and thats were they said they like to hang out.Rockfalls supposedly has a nice spot for bigguns also.Try the lower dam on the Rockfalls side.There should be some metal stairs leading you down towards the dam.Try to fish rite by/under the rails.Locals there have told me that 40+lbs are common in the spring and summer time.Good luck!!!

6. Floyd

Floyd New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Any Blues around Rockford?

7. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Not sure about Rockford, but they are present in the lower end of the Rock near the Steel Dam. The last 2-3 miles of the Rock before it empties into the Mississippi are below the Steel Dam. Plenty of bait fish running in there.

Ray

8. Floyd

Floyd New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm heading that way for about a week and lookin to kill some time after work,Thanks for the info Ray..

9. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    you could also try the Illinois river at Starved Rock, it is nice out there but there is always a lot of fisherman.

10. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I know of a great spot rite on top of the dam.Great spot for channels...