planning a trip

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by GOLD FISH, May 27, 2008.

1. GOLD FISH

GOLD FISH New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio
    i am from ohio and i was thanking of taking a trip to santee. i have never been there would it be worth the money to get a guide or just go. i have a 20ft bass boat.

2. wild bill jp

wild bill jp New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Gold Fish,
    buddy, before I offer an answer to you question, let me do my good deed for the day.
    My Opinion: Whatever you or anyone else considering a trip to the Santee Cooper lakes do, remember to never go near Harry's Fish Camp. They may have been good years ago but right now, that place is a FILTHY DUMP!
    Mike will rob you for a couple nights lodging if he gets a chance. Sorry but the truth stinks....
    Now for you question.... I would say if you have the cash, get a guide to take you out for a day. They will show you how and where to get it done. After that, hit the lake with your own boat provided you know how to handle yourself on big water. I don't know about Moultrie but Marion can turn into Lake Erie type conditions real quick but a 20 ft boat should do OK...

3. GOLD FISH

GOLD FISH New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio
    thanks for the info james

4. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Dude I don't know where you get your stupid info at,but I have to set you straight here about Harry's Fish Camp.You are dead wrong about what you stated here about Mike.I have stayed there for years and he has always treated anyone that has come in contact with him with great respect.Look at the other member on this forum that speak nothing but good about him and his people that work for him.I might suggest that you try and keep your negative remarks to yourself and not put them here.If you have a problem with Mike,take it up with him,this is wrong of you and it's not right.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I recomend (Santee with Roundhill Guide Service) Capt. Ron Howard has great knowledge of the lake and can teach ya some things about catching cats at Santee, Plus where you can and can't go in a boat. Since you,ve never been there. I'd at least take the first day out with him, and then go at it on your own if thats what you were wanting to do.

6. turkeyman

turkeyman New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Swansea
    Since you are not familiar with santee, I would have to say get a guide at least for a day. I think the biggest thing to know about santee is that navigation is trecherous. If you don't know the lake, going slow is a good idea. The lakes are full of stumps. There are some open areas, but you need to know where they are. Come on down and have a good time. Santee is one of the prettiest places in the world.:big_smile:

7. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I agree with both the getting a guide for day 1 and the safety aspect of Santee. I like to stay at Blacks if I'm fishing Moultrie, the diversion canal, or lower eastern Marion. Also SanteeRoundhill Guide is located there. If you want more Santee info let us all know. We try to help if possible.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

8. smokkin99

smokkin99 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I would have to agree with everyone else get a guide first then go out on your own. For as Black's all I have heard is good things. Hope this will help ya out!!! GOOD LUCK !!!!

9. mudflat08

mudflat08 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Ive been to santee several times but if i were u i would get a guide first like everone else said and harrys is not as bad as some think i liked it myself i stayed at atkins landing for years to but it has kind of went down hill but its still ok, whatever u decide good luck to you.

10. mudflat08

mudflat08 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Meant to tell u Harrys is on the upper lake and Atkins landing is on the lowere lake so depending on where u fish u have to places the number for Atkins Landing is 843-761-8428 sorry i dont have Harrys number.