planning a trip to Galveston TX.

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by rudepossum, Jan 27, 2008.

1. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am taking the family to Galveston the middle of May for a week. We would also like to stay a couple of days in southern Louisiana. I am needing some points of interest, neat stuff to do or see and any general information about traveling down that way. I have 3 kids ages 10, 14, and 16. We will be on a little bit of a budget, but want to have a good time. Any info would be appreciated.

2. labdog9099

labdog9099 New Member

State:
    texas
    space center allways interresting

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    dont know about texas but hope uand your family have a great time:wink:

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    David,
    There is quite a bit to do in Galveston for the family. Moody Gardens, Party Boat fishing, Space Center, Catch a ride on the ferry, Fish, fish and more fish. The beach is not outstanding by any means. If you're hoping for white sand and clear water go some place else. The kids can always collect sea shell on the beach while you fish in the surf. There are also a bunch of shops in the old town area. Take a walk down the sea wall. You can check out the cruise ships. The kiddos will be amazed on how big they are if they have never seen one. Hope this helps you out a bit.

5. Drjets

Drjets New Member

State:
    ND
    Used to live in Corpus Christi. Haven't been back in years. Planning a trip a trip Galveston, who's a good charter?

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Try Rollover Pass. There is always something biting there.

7. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info Bobby. We have looked up some of the stuff you mentioned in Ur post. My kids have never seen a BIG boat, so finding one of them is a must. 4 days in Galveston then 2 in southern Louisiana (not sure exactly where yet) then plan on heading North up 55. My wife wants to go up through what they call plantation alley? And yes I know they call it that because of all the old plantations ,lol, But have never heard much about that area. After that, the wife says i can find a place to spend a few days and fish, but there has to be things for her and the kids to do close by. Anyway thanks for the info and if it sounds like we will be traveling through areas you are familiar with, then let us know of some of the neat things we can put on the itinerary. THX from the Schuler family.

8. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    We spent a week camping at the state park there last June with our 4 kids. I would say NASA is a must, and if you have the time, the USS Texas and the San Jacinto Battlefield are definitely worth the trip into Houston. Definitely take the Bolivar ferry to Pt. Bolivar. The light house is a neat landmark although you can't actually go through it. Stop for lunch at Stingaree's, a great little seafood joint on the intercoastal near Crystal Beach on the way to Rollover Pass. There are signs and anyone can give you directions. The USS Cavalla at SeaWolf Park is also worth a visit. The Elyssa (with a nautical history museum), is a fully functional barkentine and is a very interesting visit. It's right near where the mosquito fleet docks on the harbor. The toll bridge and driving on the beach at San Luis Pass was a quick and almost free morning excursion... There is more to do, but with only 4 days, it will be tough. We really enjoyed the beach, the sand in the water makes it look dirty, but the swimming is great and... it's a beach! My kids even loved chasing the sand crabs at night with a flashlight....

You will enjoy Galveston.. Have a great trip.