Planning a camping/fishing trip

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by motodragon2003, Jul 10, 2008.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't mind a drive, I just want my family to have a good time. Any advice on where to go and have a reasonable fishing experience :).

We tried Shakamak a few weeks ago and it was horrible....not bad......horrible. Fished for about 10 hours straight and not one bite, using 4 poles and 4 different kinds of bait at various depths.

I know Lieber is out because its still around 40 foot up....

Not too sure on Raccoon but I'm guessing its high too.

I don't mind a drive to the north or south becaus this will end up being a 3 day trip.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I feel your pain. I worked and stayed at Shakamak for 6 months. Remodeled all the group camp cabins and kitchen. Didn't catch one fish in the lakes until the ice came. Then it was monster gills and even a few cats. I did manage a few small bass in the spillway. Are you pulling a camper, tent or renting a cabin. Have a boat, need to rent one or just bank fish? What part of the state do you live in? What date are you shooting for? Tell us more and the bro's will start chiming in. There is a campground across the river from my house and another up river a mile or so. There is also canoes available. For an almost guaranteed good time and lot's of fish I would take them canoing and fishing. Mix it up so your not focusing on fishing which can often lead to disappointment. Especially when going somewhere you've never been. If you want to come here I will take you out in the boat or let you use my canoe. Pm me if your interested and hopefully other will give you some spots.

3. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    We will be pitching a tent. My wife doesn't do well with water....she can swim but pretty much a "girl" when it comes to being on the water. We have a pontoon that I could pull if it is a good idea :).

We live in danville so nothing is really close. I am suspecting it will be myself, 8 year old daughter, and spouse. The teenage boy doesn't do the outdoors.

I just don't want another shakamak experience and I know with all the flooding its hard to anticipate anything down south...was thinking I may end up going north to avoid that but have no clue where to go.

I forgot to mention the dates would be the weekend of the 27th of july...its the only weekend from here until september that I don't have anything else going on :)

4. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You might think about going to the Linton Strip Pits. There is plenty of fishing there. The campground at Reservoir 26 is really nice. You can also walk over the hill there to bank fish. There is a bait store there that you used to be able to rent john boats, There is only electric motors allowed. There is only couple of lakes the could handle launching a pontoon though. You will have lots of choices for fishing. Hope this helps.

5. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    Motodragon, I'm not sure how far it is for you, But there is a Gathering at Rocky Point Marina that weekend . There will be plenty of people there to get to know and have a good time fishing. It might be someplace to consider. It is located down by Tell City at the junction 0f sr66 and sr166.

6. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    I think the rocky point gathering will be at the very limit as far as the distance I'm willing to drag my family in a vehicle hehe. I mapquested it out and its over a 3 hour drive to get there. I was considering it, and while I'm game for it completely....I don't know how the misses and the 8 year old would fair. We shall see :). I am going to check out the strip pit idea though, I need to figure out where exactly that is.

7. jeff1979

jeff1979 New Member

State:
    burnetsville,indiana
    u could take lake shafer and lake freemon in monticello there r a few camp grounds around the lakes or try arrowhead campground in winimac in the have some go fishin after boats get off of them

8. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    moto there,s lake waveland it,s right on indiana 47 and it,s a nice place and fairly close and there,s camping all over and plenty of fishing . there,s tons of cats in there plus bass and gills and it,s not too expensive either a day for fishing it,s like 5 bucks:wink:

9. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    I've never heard of that place. I'm gonna search for some info on it.

10. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    :big_smile:josh if you want directions i can give them to you . i,ve fished it a few times when i lived closer . it,s a town lake for waveland . there,s a beach for swimming and good amount of shoreline to fish from and a boat ramp . if you want you can take 36 to 59 and it,ll take you up into waveland and then when you hit 47 turn left and it,s about 4 miles down on the right . i hope this helps you it,s a nice place it,s set up just like a state park has bathrooms and shower house,s .

11. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    Yup I'm gonna give waveland a shot. Its so much closer than anywhere I've been going...had no idea. I was born and raised in greencastle so I'm use to the southern stuff....

Going north had never really crossed my mind. :)

12. Hearthstone52

Hearthstone52 New Member

State:
    Moores Hill, IN.
    Try Lake Monore and go to the Penntown State camp grounds. Its' right outside Bloomington IN. Been going there for years always did well even pulled some 40 & 50 Lbs Flats out of there. Nice channel cats too. Easy to catch bait fish also.

13. motodragon2003

State:
    Indiana
    I'm just assuming Monroe is flooded like everything else down south.

I did got to waveland today and caught 2 good size channels on live gills....my first real catch of the year.