plannin a trip to night fish tomorrow night

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by 514th, Aug 5, 2008.

1. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    any advice on where you think the best shore fishing would be. i have yet to catch a flathead and its pretty much drivin me crazy. i was thinking of goin to either roosevelt or bartlett. possibly even goin back to san carlos lake (with a shotgun cuz that place can be crazy). but i dont know hit me up with any ideas. tryin to leave tucson in the afternoon and get up to the lake just before dark, with enough daylight left to catch some bait, and pitch a tent cuz my wife wont take the heat.

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Maybe or maybe not check below the diversion dam Eads wash. You can set up a camp in the shade, one area has some trees,if open, I believe it is a good area to fish from shore. Because i have only caught blue and channel cats, got hits on live bait and cut bait, I don't want you to go to this spot based only on my idea. You may get better locations from other local guys. If you go to this area have your live blue gill before you arrive. Good Luck!

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I know I am opening a can of worms on this one, but... Blues??

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Do you have any pictures of the blue cats from Roosie? I have been told that there are no blues at Roosie...

5. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Without pics not worth much I know. I fished Eads wash one night, about 5 in the morning daybreak, a a 5 to 6 # blue. I have caught channels looking differently but i truly believe it was a blue cat, possibly i am wrong. Being new to the area i had not heard there are no blue cat at roosevelt. It was not a flathead, I have caught(only one) flathead in the same area(small).

6. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Let's figure i am wrong, i will take a picture next time if I believe it is a blue cat. thanks, not offended by comment:big_smile:

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I believe you, in fact for years I thought I was catching blue cats... But a lot of folks told me there were no blues in Roosevelt and the fish I caught were just channel cats. I have never fished in "blue cat" waters, so I really don't know any differently...

* You can call 'em blues, I don't mind... lol...

8. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    You're right Andy, Just above your name for the flathead record i thought i would see a record for a blue cat in Arizona,but no. Andy congrats on your record and the fact you released the fish. May you know an area 514th can go this afternoon, the weather may hinder some spots.:big_smile:

9. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    im not very familiar with roosevelt but i think i mat go there as it takes a little less time to get there from tucson. so anyone got any idea where i might camp and have a shot at some flats. we are going to leave this afternoon and get up there shortly before dark so i can catch some bait.

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Josh,
    Did you fish the salt above Roosie yet? There are some areas near the diversion dam that have produced some giant cats for some folks fishing off the bank. But I would say the best time to go there is during the week.
    * Most my fishing is done off my toon, so I am not too sure about bank fishing opportunities...

11. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    went to the spot you were talkin about and fished till 230 in the morning didnt catch a damn thing. got totally skunked. fish from about 545 this morning til 830 nothin but little tiny channel cats. im just cursed it seems:sad2:

12. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey 514th, sorry you had no luck at eads wash. Turns out i made a quick overnighter last night thinking you my still be there. I was talking to the guy Jimmy, who had set in the tree area with his kids. Naturally he told me of a 38#er that was caught a few days ago. I feel like I am following a herd of buffalo that don't leave tracks. I did get two hits, not full runs, I catfish spit my bluegill head back at me when he came out about 10' from shore.
    Say, Chummer ,i can generally catch plenty of bluegill. What about the aftertaste?

13. SandyCatfish

SandyCatfish New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    We launched from windy hill...............went west till it got muddy..............and narrow.......very narrow like a canyon.........was the diversion dam close? I got confused by another post saying the Salt River is above Roosie..........is the Salt above and to the nothwest of the lake? :confused2:

14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Sandy , you are right,it does narrow and right now the water is muddy. I don't know which way you are traveling from but take the 288 towards Young off of the 188. When you see a sign saying narrow bridge 1/2 mile turn left at next left. Stay on paved road, if you turn right you will go to the diversion dam. Staying on paved road you will see a sign for eads wash on the left or you can stay on road and follow it around to other areas to camp and fish on the river which is very narrow. This general area is good for bank fishing, but I don't know if you can my thoughts to the bank! You would want to check it out for yourself. If you go to Eads wash you may feel more comfortable with front wheel or 4 wheel drive. Good luck

15. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    On shore go as far back as you can safely at bartlett. We are in the 80 sum % so you can now get back there. Go early chum corn catch carp and gills till evening. Use miltiple rods with clickers or bait runners. Cast some close to shore an some farther out. Fishing a point of a little bay will produce. Use a 6/0 gamacatsu regular j hook. When the fish takes a run let it go a little bit then tuen off the clicker/bait runner and let the rod load up with your rod at lake level then raise your ron firmly reel down again and this time give a good reef. while battling keep the rod high with good pressure to keep him out of the many rock piles. When you land your Flathead check your line for freys up to 30 or 40 feet in the reel. If you find some cut it out before the next cast. Oh yea don't fish with a latern only a red,whi and blue head set. Good luck I caught many mediun flats this way before I got my boat. thanks tdpasser:wink: