Planing Question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by lamudslinger76, May 2, 2007.

1. lamudslinger76

lamudslinger76 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have a 12' flat bottom boat with a 5 hp Mariner. The Mariner pushes the boat fine, but the front rides too high when I'm by myself and noone is in the front. What can I do to help flatten the ride out?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Couple of bags of playground sand from Lowes. That will be the best fishing partner you ever had.
    Never has to leave early, never late, no lip, and you aint got to feed him.:big_smile:

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I have the same problem, I just lower the trim one notch when I'm by myself. If your trim is alway the way down you'll have to do what Mark J said.

4. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    The motor should have a adjustment rod to trim the motor up out of the water or to the transom move it toward the transom 1 to 2 notches.

5. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Make sure your ice chest is full of fish and put it in the front!:wink:

I usually use my ice chest for balancing the weight out. (usually not full of fis though!)

6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Do you have the boat on a trailer?
    If you do take a couple of bags of sackcrete mix moisten them, place them in plastic bags and place them in the front floor of the boat. Flatten them out by walking on them and when they dry you will have two custom formed boat weights
    If you car top the boat, carry it in the back of your truck or use it to slide down river banks where there is no ramp. Get a two or three 5 gallon buckets. The ones with the lids and screw on spouts like paint, grease or sauce comes in. Check with restaurant owners or contractors. When you get to the lake or river fill them with water and put them in the front of the boat. A couple of black rubber straps like truckers use on tarps work well to secure them to a seat or the sides of the boat. Each bucket will weigh around 42 lbs full and next to nothing empty.
    I had a 12' Sears semi V-hull aluminum boat with a 7.5 Tecumseh engine that I used to carry on my car top. It used to run with the front end so high I could hardly see over it. It was slow and the transom was low in the water at high speed. I always fished alone but one day I took my 145 lb. brother in law fishing and the difference amazed me. With him on the front seat the boat leveled off and ran much faster even with the extra weight. I had three 5 gallon buckets at home that peanut oil came in. After that day, when I was alone, I would fill those buckets with water and strap them to the front seat. When I went to load the boat I would dump the water and throw the buckets in the trunk.

7. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    That's what I do too. Water's cheap:wink:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take a friend fishing with you each time and let him set in the front. Two people catch more fish and you will probably enjoy the trip more.Requirments for the friend.Young female (38-24-36) for balance.:smile2:

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Take a look at this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat21322&hasJS=true

It allows the helmsman to stand further forward, which will get your weight amidships, where it needs to be.

You'll need to rig a line from gunwale to guwale that's long enough to give you a secure handhold, and strong enough to stand up to your weight, should you run aground suddenly.:eek:oooh:

I have one, and it does the job.

10. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    My friend moeman has the same problem, he bought a long hose for his gas can and puts it up front to balance the dead weight.:big_smile:

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Get a stingray jr hydrofoil, your bow will come down, you will get more speed, better handling and you will burn less gas, best thing in the world to put on the boat if you ask me. I put one on my boat and its awesome. Just remember that hydrofoils are not created equal, and stingray IS the best. Here is the link, it will pay for itself in no time for fuel savings, and no dis-respect to what all the other people on here said, but if you can add a one pound hydrfoil to the boat, it is a lot better and safer than adding 50-100lbs to the front of your boat.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=+stingray+junior&noImage=0

12. lamudslinger76

lamudslinger76 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all the ideas fellas. When I get home next week, I'll check on one of those hydrafoils. If that don't work, I'll see about extending my fuel hose and moving the tank up front .

13. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I USED TO HAVE A 12 FOOT V-HULL DURACRAFT AND MOST OF THE TIME BY MYSELF. ANYWAYS, ALSO WITH A 9 HORSE MOTOR. WHAT I DID WAS BUY A COUPLE BAGS OF SAND, GOT SOME OLD JEANS AND A COUPLE PLASTIC BAGS. CUT THE LEGS OFF OF THE JEANS, GOT TWINE AND TIED OFF ONE END OF THE LEG JEANS, PUT THE PLASTIC BAG INSIDE AND POUR SAND TILL ALSMOST FULL THEN TIED OFF THE OTHER END. MADE ONE ABOUT 30 LBS AND THE OTHER ABOUT 40 LBS. IF I WENT OUT WITH A LIGHT LOAD, ADD BOTH BAGS AND IF WITH SOME WEIGHT IN BOAT THEN JUST ADD ONE BAG. IT REALLY HELPED ME OUT, IT IS QUIET ON ROUGH WATERS AND I STILL HAVE THEM AFTER 2 YEARS. REMEMBER, JEANS LAST FOREVER SO WHY NOT SAVE THEM OLD JEANS FOR SANDBAGS, SMILES. I EVEN USE THEM IN THE WINTER TIME IN BACK OF TRUCK FOR TRACTION CONTROL.