PLANING For a FLOAT TRIP HELP/Advice

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by MiseryMike, Aug 4, 2009.

1. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    My brother, my gf and about 5 other friends want to get a float trip thats close to our area sumwut lol here in the next few weeks, we are looking at The Little Niangua River down in Macks Creek Missouri Looking to stay at Cedar Camp $39 per night for a little cabin for two and rent a canoe for 28bucks with the option of 2,4,6,and 13 mile floats. Has anyone been down there or lives in that area is it a great place for a little get away? They claim on thier webpage to be some of the best fishing in missouri Thoughts ideas Would be Great. Thanks everyone who can put in thier .02 :wink:

2. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    My old boss used to float the niangua i belive it was quite a bit in his younger years. He said it was some of the best fishing he ever had. I think he caught goggle eye, smallmouth, channels, black perch, and he said at one end of it you could even catch trout. good luck:wink:

3. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

I been there when it was alil dry an ya hadda drag yer canoe some. Its a nice lazy float. Bouta class two I think. Meybe one. Sure is a good float fer hot days tho. Gots lotta springs in it an Cold water. Never fished it tho.

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    sounds like fun Mike, wish i could join ya.

5. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

For you floaters, I'd highly recomend gettin a copy of "A Paddler’s Guide to Missouri" from the MDC. I dunno if you can post links on here or not? Didnt usedta could. :confused2:

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I had a buddy who stayed there a few years back, he had a great time, but I can't remember which floats he did. I've done a little floating upstream from there around Bannister Ford, it was pretty, but not much water and lots of dragging. The Little Niangua is a great place to go to avoid all of the partiers who flock to the Niangua on the summer weekends.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You might want to take the drive on down to the Current River - float from Pulltite to Round Spring, about 8 or 9 miles. You can camp at either Pulltite or Round Spring but you need to make reservations in advance (there's a national park service website for making reservations) - don't count on the "first come, first served" unreserved spots, as they won't be there.

The river gets a bit rowdy on weekends, especially right now being close to college starting back up - all the kids will be down there partying it up one last time. I wouldn't take a family down there this time of year, but if young, nearly naked and drunk is your thing, you'll have a great time.

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :smile2: im not young

not gonna get nakked

but i will sure as heck watch the babes doing it !!!!:wink::smile2:

count me in !!! hee hee lol :big_smile:

it does get filled up fast on the weekends thats for sure .

and if your fat like me with a fat buddy in the canoe dont exspect to float over the gravel bars :eek:oooh::crazy: we got stuck and had to push ours lol
    i was only 300 lbs back then and my buddy was bigger and we had a cooler with a 30 pack and ice .

if we leaned to far to the left or right the canoe took on water :angry::sad2:

lol

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
  10. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    JMS43 is right. Good fishing water. Cold clear spring fed water is refreshing on the hottest days. There are a lot of people that float from st louis , columbia and K.C. area. carful with the drink etc... federal agents everywhere.. They like to hide in the bushes with binoks. Goggleye and smallmouth thick. Trout are also thick in the waters. Blue ribbon water so check length limmits and bait regulations.. Have a great time.

11. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne

12. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    I do both rivers at least once a yr. The LITTLE Niangua is for fishing, it's NW of the Niangua and is unknown to the partiers, it to empties into LOZ. It's really good for fishing and Cedar Camp is run by a really nice family. Everybody knows about the Niangua and i was there last week w/ 7 other guys from work and it was party central, saw quite a bit.

13. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Sounds like Noel other than the nearly naked part, most of the ones there I think came with out anything to wear. :eek:oooh: We had a great time though! :smile2: