planerboards for catfishing

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by afishpatrol, Oct 21, 2009.

1. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    have any of you guys ever used plannerboards for your catfishing?
    a couple months ago i took a buddy to the wabsh for a little flathead trip, this fella is a pretty good angler, lots of time on the rivers. we set up at the mouth of a tributary with some log jams near by, i noticed one jam about 30yrds down stream on the opposite side of the river, as you know you cant verry easily cast across the current and get baits to hold without a ton of weight. my buddy got the biggest laugh when i busted out a board, but when he saw how precise a bait could be placed near a log jam he stopped laughing and said that might work, shure enough, 15 minuts later the board starts bobbing and heading downstream, a good hard yank to release the board and this was the results. 35# flattie.
    [​IMG]
    there are a few tricks to doing this, which i am still trying to perfect since this was a spur of the moment thought on how to get a bait in an abnormal spot, but never rule out trying somthing different, it just might work!

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I've attempted them before yes not great luck.

3. kyhunter

kyhunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have used them for stripers on cumberland but never tried them for catfish.Thanks for the info.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have a friend who uses them for crappie fishing and he catches quiet a few cats. Welcome to the BOC Andy.

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    sounds like the plainer bobber, except it doesnt release from your line

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've seen them used for trollin stripers on the chesapeake here, but never for still fishing. That is a great idea.

7. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    still fishing works provided there is enough current in the river to pull them out to the side, rigged to release they will slide down your line and stop at your swivel. still playing with perfecting it, but satyurday i'l be hittinng madison so they may see a little more water time, also works great for getting a wider spread out to cover your holes if there are a few people in the boat.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    killer tactic brother! get some video while your down there, for us. have you seen the nerf football looking thing that do that? i am thinking about making some big enough for live gills and such.
    link-http://www.bulletbobber.com/

9. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey Riverscum, I just checked out that site, thanks it looks like something I'd like to try.

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think they would work good for spreading baits out on the big rivers and below dams with lotsa curent

11. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree that should work

12. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Guys check out Mac Byrams catfish universty on the home page ,there is a thread about using planer boards in there . I know he talks about using them all the time in his fishing reports ,thought this might help someone else

13. bamayote

bamayote New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have so got to try boards out!