Planer Boards

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by catter5000, Jul 20, 2008.

1. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I have fished for walleyes for many years by trolling. I have seen a lot of TV shows where guys are using planner boards. I am not familiar with this method of fishing.Do any of you walleye fisherman use planner boards and if so could you give any advice on which brand to buy and any other info that might be helpful. Thanks Allen

2. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hello Allen, I do not walley fish but I do fish for stripers with regularity and the freshwater striper techniques are very similar to the ones used by the walley fisherman you see on TV. There are many different brands of planer boards out there. You can find yellow birds or off-shore planers at BPS or you could do what I do and make your own and save alot of money. The technique involves a port side planer and a starboard planer or two or three of each. You put the bait back however far you want it and somtimes with some split shots to get them deeper into the water column then clip the board for the side of the boat you are fishing from and place into the water with your trolling motor on and let it go out to the desired distance beside the boat. This allows you to cover more ground and present more baits to the fish without worry of tangling everything up.

Shane

3. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  4. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I use the Church Tackle Walleye Planer Boards. I also bought the add on flag kit. You can set the flag to stand up till you get a bite and then it drops or you can set it down till one bites then it pops up. I prefer to have mine up till they bite it seems easier to watch them ecspecially when there is waves or bright sun.