Planer Boards

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Leakyboat, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Has anyone or do you think you could you use planer boards for drift fishing catfish?I want to fish the channel and the sides,thought maybe this would spread them out a little more.
    Ernie

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I have 2 planer boards. They are used primarily for trolling. I may be wrong, but I don't think they would deploy correctly if you were drifting.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also use planer boards but have not had good results drifting then. it takes a lot of forward movement to control then.

Danny

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    another thought, maybe different types act different. mine are offshore.

5. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I was kinda thinking that would be the problem! It was just one of those thoughts i have,every now and then.I usually get dizzy after i have one of them!:p
    Ernie

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've often thought of giving them a try when I'm anchored in a current. I've even wondered about using them from shore, where there's both current and deep water right up next to the bank. The only way I can see them working while drifting is if you use a trolling motor to keep your boat from drifting as fast as the current. You've got to have a difference between the surface speed of the water in relation to the speed of the boat; seems like the smaller the rudder on those things, the greater the difference required.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ya I think you are going to need to be under power to make them deploy. I have caught a lot of catfish on them, but I was Striper fishing when I did it!!! LOL!!

8. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have been looking at them for about a month now. Also would like to set up a downrigger as well. I have seen prices on boards from $11 to $40 per board. I would be interested in anyone who has used these in the past and could shed some light on the differences between the boards of different price ranges. Personally I think they would be great for trolling for blues in the winter. As well as with cut bait you could catch just about any type of fish you come across. I know alot of walleye fishman use them esp. in really clear water.
    I would be interested in any home made design you may have for the boards. I think I'm going to try to make some after I buy a pair.

Dave

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR