planer boards

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MR, whiskers, Feb 4, 2008.

1. MR, whiskers

MR, whiskers New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hello everyone,I was going to try using planer boards drfting for catfish this year in shallow waters . I was curious if anyone has used them before, and if so maybe give me a few tips . ​
    thanks,Dean

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Maybe you could elaborate a bit,Dean. welcome to the BOC,
    I know planer boards are used herefor trolling for walleye,most folks drift fish or simply anchor or bank fish for cats.

3. MR, whiskers

MR, whiskers New Member

State:
    ohio
    I fish a shallow lake depth average 5 to8 feet . I also like fishing 2 to4 feet ,ibelieve that in shallow water alot of the bigger fish go out and around the boat . Im looking for a way to cover 20 to 50 feet either side of my boat . I really dont want to run my motor no more than i need to so i dont spook fish out of the area . my reason for believing this is 80% of our fish are caught on the outside poles. thanks Dean​

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Sounds like a good idea Dean. They fish giant stripers in the southern rivers like that. Cruise down the center of the river and plane live shad along the bank. Can you use a trolling motor instead of your gas one?
    Either way I'd give it a try. I would like an update after you experiment with it this year. I have been thinking of trying it for river flats at night for a couple yrs now.

5. MR, whiskers

MR, whiskers New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for the tip . iwish the best of luck and thebiggest catches! Dean

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Dean. I have used them for crappie fishing but never tried it for cats. Let us know how it works if you try it. Thanks.

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Dean, several of us in NC use side planer boards. They work just fine in shallow or deep water.

8. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Dean, I use em on the river with very good results. A buddy on here told me to do a search on planer boards and several sketches came up. I built my own, bought the heavy duty clips and put it to the test. Clips held good for setting the hook before releasing and that was with a 12 oz. sinker holding it vertical. I was fishing deep and the good part of using a planer is it moves leaving a scent trail over a wider area. I found a short leader (6 inches) best fit the conditions I was fishing. Haven’t tried pulling it in a non currant scenario yet but do speak well of it on the river. Give it a try and let us know how it went.

9. MR, whiskers

MR, whiskers New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would like thank everyone for your thoughts and ideas.Istill have a few problems .I have never used a planer board and i dont have any idea how to rig one for a fixed depth. But its good to now it does work. If any one could help me out with these problems i would be greatfull. thanks Dean

10. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey Dean, We use them from shore in high water. Man do we have high water here in arkansas right now. Straight flow works great for holes and the like out from shore. Depth control? Use a lifesaver rig like the balloon guys do at Keystone in Oklahoma. Instead of a balloon use the big planer boards. You will need to get right and left boards depending on the flow and side of river you are fishing. Mint dissolve in 15 min. and fruit flavored/assorted give you 20min. Fool around with this setup and you will be catching them when everyone else is waiting for the water to go down.:wink::smile2: Hope this helps a fellow catman. .