Planer Boards

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Bomberman, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Just curious...any of you folks use planer boards to position your baits close to structure or to move it away from your boat? I've been experimenting with them a little and they seem promising.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I guess that answers the question...no planer board users here.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Sorry 'bout that Chuck. I hang out over at the kayaker forum for a good reason. I prefer to kayak catfish for the adventure (real powerboating, believe me!). However, I doubt I would ever gather enough knots to get the planer boards up "on plane"! So I don't use them, but have read that they work well for various tackle configurations.

From what I have read, planers are a great way to fish multiple drops from one line and cover a large area in one swath.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've seen a few posts about folks using them for catfishing, but not very many.

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I guess I should have been more specific about the planer boards. I was referring to the in-line type...not the kind that requires a planer board mast.

The in-line type do not require the boat to be moving as long as there is a little moving water. You anchor, attach the board to your line, and the current takes the board (and bait) out to the side of the boat. You can stop it anywhere you choose just by engaging the reel. You can put it tight against any kind of cover or in very shallow water without spooking fish. When a fish hits, you let it take the slack out of the line and the board pops loose so you can fight the fish.

I don't use them all the time but when fishing next to cover, they work great.

Now, as to "Yakking" I've done some of that too...but I'll tell you, it seemed a lot like work. :crazy: I admire those that have that kind of stamina...but for me, I'll crank up the ol' Merc. :wink:

Tight lines

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Gotcha...sorry 'bout that. You are correct: I've seen both the planer systems and the individual planers.

No, I haven't used one of those either, yet. However, it does seem like a good idea, especially since the primary advantage of kayak fishing is to fish nasty structures that would hang up larger craft. Planers would come in handy in these situations!