Planer boards for catfish?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Smuggo, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    Never used planer boards so I don't know if the would be of any use catfishing. I was watching the In-Fisherman and Doug Stange was presenting large live shad with planer boards for Stripers. He was fishing a river and using the Planers to get the baits in and around stucture ( downed trees..etc). Seems like you would have good control of the baits using the rudder on the board to hold the bait where you wanted it. If anyone has exerience with planers do you think it would pull a bait away from an anchored boat in a current/river situation? Using small diamater braids it seems like you could drift a live bait out and away from the boat to structure and put regular bottom rigs down-current...thoughts?

BTW...i saw some in my local Wal-Mart...Yellow Birds I think was the brand

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've wondered myself if they wouldn't be very useful, especially when anchored in current. Never tried them, though.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Planer boards would work with a float type rig, ( balloon, slip bobber, fixed bobber, etc.) don't think they would work with a bottom type rig with enough weight to hold it down in current.
    I use planers to troll for crappie with crank baits, and live bait for stripe. I have toyed with the planer board and float rig but have never tried it. When or if we ever get any rain here there might be some current in the rivers and I could try it, but until it rains, well it will have to be a thought.

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I know that LakeNormanBlues on this site uses them in Lake Norman during the summer months with split shot and cut bait for suspended blues in the summer months so it can be used for catfishing. I have 2 of the Yellow Bird planers and use them for striper fishing and they work good. I'll try it with slip floats and freelines this summer. It can really widen your spread and they will work in current when anchored. I saw this on the congaree river this spring, but don't know what those guys were fishing for. see ya

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Gonna show how little I know about planerboards. I was under the impression that the planerboard rides on the surface and has an angled keel on the bottom to make it swing wide, carrying the line with it, and acting as a float.

6. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is an article in the latest In-Fisherman Magazine about using boards for blues. I believe it was done in a lake situation.

7. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    In answer to your question whether they will drift away from your boat most likely yes. I have just begun to experiment with them in a lake environment myself. I plant to use them to catch multiple species since almost everything follows the shad here. I hope to locate the shad then the hybrids or white them the blues myself.

Trolling speed and getting the board way out there seems to be the concerns. Searched the net this morning and will try using a drift sock first to get a slower speed.

Poles have to be in a near vertical position to get the board out and then once tripped are a pain to get back out if you have multiple lines. A mast is the answer but not cheep. plan on using a couple of my older stiffer rods and building a seperate holer that will set the rod in the upmost postion. Then I can attach my other lines to release clips on this main line and not have to worry about bringing and resetting the whole board everytime.

8. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    good info for planer noob...I usually fish anchored near the bank and try to keep a bait in the shallow water but the current drag on the line seems to pull the bait down stream and away from where I want it. I Thought that a planer (with a drop shot type rig) could carry my bait and keep it in place. Dependant on water depth I could match my leader length for a good presentation.

Also, Does'nt the planer act sort of like a bobber or strike indicator? If you use a large bobber with a planer would the added drag effect the planing ability of this type rig?

Think i'll go ahead and pick a couple up (1 port and 1 starboard) and do a little experimenting.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Larry, planer boards would work as a float and take your bait out away from the bank. That particular setup had not occurred to me. The more line between you and the board the further out it will go.

Jedt, I use the same rod holders and angle ( 30 deg or less ) for trolling and anchor fishing, run a 40 to 60 foot spread with 4 rods. Most of the time I fish alone and 4 rods is enough to keep up with.

10. bubill

bubill New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    We have a couple of spots on the river I fish where over hangs make a cast imposible, but by anchoring up stream and using a tx9 or 12 (bait size) walleye board we can drift live bait into the jam. The bigest problem we have found is that the bait will flip the board if the current isn't strong enough or the bait is to lively. If you decide to try those yellow foam boards put some weight on the bottom to let it grab more water in a light current and stay upright. Make sure the boards front clip is rigged to realse and put a snap swivel in the back to keep the board on the line. It is no fun fighting a flat in current with a 8" board helping him out.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'd like to try using outriggers for a wide drift pattern and boost my rod array by 4 rods.

12. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Thanks Bam. Fish alot by myself too. I am getting a bunch of looks on these Texas lakes with these boards.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They sure would work to run your bait out into a tree top While anchor fishing in the river with current. You can control the line and get the bait up close to the tree or bank.
    Pete

14. bubill

bubill New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    We use them for salmon trolling and the are a pita and expensive. I use boards for all but they hardest pulling setups but we have to use outriggers to pull some of our rigs 16 oz at 2.5 mph. I have seen some of the walleye guys up here use their ski mast and big boards to drift, But I like inline boards with flags so you can see the hit and the flag starts bouncing.

15. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I have offshore planers. They will act like a bobber though as I use HD non releasing grabbers. Im sure you could get them to work for you in current. Without fast current they would probably be more trouble than help. Ive never tried them for cats.