plan on fishing west point

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by drifter000, May 7, 2008.

1. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i am planning on bank fishing in west point saturday where the salt river hits the ohio. anyone have any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. dont have much experience or luck, please help!!:006::haha:

2. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Hi Rob...
    First thing is to check either on the Internet for NOAA River prediction or the Courier Journal to see what level the River is at. Tonight she is at 18.32 ft and rising. Anything over 25-30 ft, you may not have enough shoreland to fish on. Do you know where to go in West Point to get to the River? As you come into town, turn right on 4th -6th street and Veterans park is next to the Fire Dept. There is also access around 3rd and Elm street, just up from the fire dept. Folks are real friendly here so you can ask anyone and they will help you. Stop at Pepper's Bait store on Dixie and get frozen skip jacks or shad and some night crawlers. with the river as unsteady as she is right now, they aren't biting much, but I have had better luck with night crawlers from the bank. The current is swift, so use a heavier sinker, 4 to 5 oz to keep you down on the bottom. You can also go to the Boat Dock at Salt River. The shore land right now is a real mess with all oif the drift and junk left from the last time she came up. Good luck and don't get discouraged if you don't catch much. 3 yrs ago a kid caught a 50 + lb blue from the bank and 4 yrs ago another kid caught an 80 lb blue from the bank. Who knows, yours may be sitting there waiting for you!!! :roll_eyes:

Be Safe
    Linda

3. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i appreciate the tip. i used to live in muldraugh and my wife lived in west point. i know the area, but dont know much about the river fishing. i am a recovering pond bass fisherman.lol hope to have a good report for yall come sunday

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    If you are coming from muldraugh the go past West Point and as soon as you cross the bridge there is a small road to the right. Its a dirt trail actually. Take that and it will take you under the bridge to the point just on the Upcurrent side of the intersection of the salt/ohio. This will allow you to present your baits above most of the trash and you will have more success. I don't know who owns that land, but sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness later.:wink:
    Good luck and keep us updated.

5. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    When the river came up this winter, someone blocked this access off with large concrete barricades.