Places to castnet bait around Occoquan

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by aplumma, Apr 9, 2007.

1. aplumma

aplumma New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I Have a starter pile of Shad to use this season but I am now looking for a few places to net some as I need them. Could someone point me in the right direction as to were or what type of area to look for them please in the Occuquan area.

Thanks

Art

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Try the Occuquan River. You should be able to find herring, shad, and white perch.

3. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Right in the town of occoquan below the foot bridge is a good place. be carefull as it is a cast net snag hole for sure anywhere in that part of the river. If you find a snag free spot just keep working it and wait for the fish to move thru. It you move around too much you can count on snaging up that cast net. Now if in a boat you can try out near high point, 3-4' of water, at hight tide back to off the riprapp, 5 to 6' of water, inside of high point. Seems to be a lot of shad there most of the time. Its a flat so you have cover some ground. If you try that area in the dark a spot light and the noise of a OB will scare the shad into jumping all kind of different directions to show where they are. It wierd because the hard bottom there confuses them on exctly where the noise is comming from. I have seen 100's of shad scare from 100 yards away and come almost straigt to the boat. One night we pull in there, just inside high point and there were 500 big gizzreds in the air for about 100 yards all around the boat every time we started the OB. Needless to say we got bait easy.

4. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Anyone have any luck cast netting bait fish in the Mattawoman?

The Occoquan is close for me, but Mattawonan would be even closer.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I get alot of bait their around the boat skips

6. aplumma

aplumma New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well my new castnet arrived today. I was in the yard testing it out and it works just as good as described. I have always thrown a 4ft castnet and have not been very good at getting a nice radius going unless I was standing in the water. I had tried 4 or 5 different techniques and even enlisted a few pro's to tutor me will little luck. I went on Ebay and found a net that has a metal ring on top that looked like a good idea and bought one. After 5 throws and reading the directions 4 times I was able to get the best radius on a 5 ft net that I have thrown up high in a long time. The best part is it is a one handed throw method or two if you prefer. I will keep you posted as to how it acts in the water but so far I am very impressed.

Art