Place to put in at near St Charles

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by cpalombo, May 27, 2006.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Guys,

I have talked to a number of you over the past weeks, and feel I am ready to try out cat fishing for the first time. I have my 14 foot Mirro Craft loaded up with new gear, and I have bought all the stuff everyone told me to get for my first try at cat fishing (I still need a throw net, I did not get that yet, but will today).

The only thing I need is a place to launch from. Not being able to find any maps with river boat launch information, I have no idea where to launch my boat. This is not fully true, I did see a launch in down town St. Charles, but figured that this was too urban to start at.

Can anyone give me a spot to launch a boat on the MO river, as well as some tips/ spots up or down stream. I am in O'Fallon, basically west of St. charles.

Thanks,

CP

2. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    we put in at columbia bottoms its about three miles from the missippi river. Its a real nice ramp. if you want to meet me there let me know.

3. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    You're right, there is a ramp in St. Charles in the city, and then the next I know of upstream is at Weldon Springs on 94. I also fish with a friend out of Warrenton that puts in down by Treloar or up a little farther at Hermann.

As mentioned, there is a ramp near the Confluence out of Columbia Bottoms, but Weldon Springs is much closer to you.

4. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Just found this on the MDC site . . .

St. Charles County River Accesses
    39 Weldon Spring C.A.
    40 Howell Island C.A.
    41 Louis H. Bangert Mem.
    42 Riverwoods C.A.
    43 Blanchette Landing Ac.
    44 Pelican Island N.A.
    45 Sioux Passage Park

Link here shows the full list of accesses for each county:
    http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/1995/08/03.html

And if it's department run/owned, you can find them in the MDC Atlas on the site. Good luck.

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    cpalombo, if you're in ofallon, the weldon spring c.a is probably your best best. However there is another ramp farther south on hwy 94 called klondike...it's only a couple of years old and fairly easy to get on and off the river. me personally i use klondike and or the washington boat ramp and fish the river between the two. there are a lot of deep holes around the power plant across the river from the klondike ramp.

If I were you, i would also try fishing the cuivre river since you have a smaller boat. lots of really nice flatheads have been pulled out of there recently(20-25lbers). take hwy 79 north then make a right hand turn on Dalbo Rd...follow to the cuivre river C.A. This is still in St Charles county.

6. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Thanks guys. I ended up going out on the downtown St. Charles access last Satureday. I did not catch any catfish, but did see a lot of new sites. Missouri has a load of ducks, many I had never seen before. I also saw a few snakes, and several types of carp that I am unfamiliar with. It was a real eye opener. Being new to the area, I saw a lot of new things. I was frustrated with how murky and industrial the Missouri River was. I think I will try a lake 2 weekends from now, and see how that feels.

Do you guys have a favorite place near O Fallon that you put in at the Mississippi River? What do you go for. Is the Miss cleaner than the MO? More or less fish?

CP

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    You need to take a sight-seeing drive along the Missouri side of Alton pool staying as close to the river as possible. You will find many ramps both private and public. They start with some nice public ramps at Alton bridge (367?) and extend every few miles or closer the full 40 miles of the pool. I mostly use the MDC ramp at Cuiver Island off Dalbow Rd. It's the closest Mississippi ramp to my house. I live a few miles south of O'Fallon. I recommend buying the Fishing Hot Spots map for Mississippi River Pool 26, its a hydrographic contour map and shows the submerged wing dams, etc. It can be found at Walmart or Bass Pro.