Place to fish in Central Ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by caymancat, Aug 1, 2007.

1. caymancat

caymancat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if there were any members in the central ohio area around Dublin and Upper Arlington that know any good channel catfish spots or wanna go fishing sometime. I leave for college in a couple weeks and probably won't be able to fish, so I want to get out as much as possible now.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Hey Josh, I know of many places south and north of Columbus. Buckeye Lake is to the East and probably the most populated Channel lake in Ohio if not the US.

Let me know when you are wanting to go and I'll do my best to try and meet up with ya. Always great to meet a new BOC brother.

3. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    josh, welcome to the BOC. My kids and I are usually on the east bank of Griggs about three nights a week...we fish the early evening shift mostly, but i could be convinced to spend a little later nights on the bank sometimes...let me know and I will show you a couple of my favorite spots...:)

4. fishdaddy

fishdaddy New Member

State:
    w.va.
    alum creek.. deleware lake

5. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    Hoover is a good lake to fish as well. I fish it alot it has good numbers but the last few weeks have been slow.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Alot may depend on what you want also
    Buckeye - alot of boaters if you banking it and they are rude
    Alum - I like this place there are alot of bank available
    Delaware - I havnt fished it enough to say its good I did catch a turtle there tho
    Dillon - I like the lake but you almost need a boat to fish it well, you can get to the spillway easily "tspergin" catches a lot of bigguns there
    Hoover - I havnt caught anything good there but I usually just use worm or shrimp so Im probably getting alot of small frys hitten it.
    Griggs - Ive never fished it
    Antrium - Never fished but Ive been told its good for trout (they stock it)
    O'Shaunessy(sp) - never fished
    Deer Creek Dam or Res - Tea fishes there all the time Ive caught some but nothing big altho Ive heard there are some decent size there also

7. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Ryang has mentioned some go spots.One of the best is Alum. I can't say enough about Alum, I catch large cats here on a regular basis 5 to 11 pounds. Alum has produced cats like this for me for the last 3 years now. Bank or boat, almost always in deeper water. When fishing from my small boat most of the time I look for deeper water and pull the boat on shore and fish from the bank. I fish only with shad , cut - fresh is best. Get yourself a cast net , get some shad and give it a try.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Where do you get shad for Alum, do you get it somewhere else?

9. Rambo

Rambo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i fish alum and hoover relentlessly, i have started three of my families little farm ponds with the countless little cats ive caught, cant seem to catch anything over 6 pounds though, and to tell the truth i have a heck of a time catching much of anything but turtles at hoover dam, just seems like they bite better at alum creek.

10. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Ryang, shad can be caught right at the boat ramp at Howard Rd. However as it gets hotter you must go to deeper water.Move from the boat ramp head out to the middle. Using a cast net shad can be taken here after dark. Shad can be taken under the bridge as well , be careful here you'll tear your net . About the 2nd week in May is the spawn for shad. Shad can be taken very easy during this time in shallow water everywhere. I also catch shad at Delaware as well. I usually go through 3 nets a year from winter to summer.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    buckeye... alot of what gary said
    alum...not sure
    delaware..full of turtles..gary told me to go there! lol
    dillon..tspergin has it posted now.!! lol well worth your money from what i hear.
    hoover..are we talking about the same resevoir???:roll_eyes:
    griggs antrium o' saugeye,,deer creek..i fish all the time! rollo:smile2:

12. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the B.O.C. my son and i usually go below the griggs dam.