PJA club forming in NC

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Mac-b, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    How many of you guys and gals would be interested in forming a Perch Jerkers Anonymous club in North Carolina? There would be no membership dues but, you would have to offer your advice on how to catch those white racers. How you keep them alive and how you preserve the dead ones. No black balling in this club and you don't have to renew your membership every year.

I have borrowed this idea from ChrisBlue on the South Carolina board. We could make him our International Chairperson.

If the BOC will allow this post, we can start the enroll now. Charter membership will be open for an unlimited time.

My name is Mac (LakeNormanBlues) and I am addicted to catching white perch and have been for quite some time. I catch my perch on a Sabiki rig, sometimes six at a time, but will accept just one if that is all that I can get.

2. Reckinball

Reckinball New Member

State:
    NC
    Well i would be interested in it, only if i had luck catching the white perch. I have caught a fair share of them on High Rock lake. Since i read your post on using the Sabiki rig i have bought a few of them to try.. Just havent had much luck with them yet. I will not give up though. Dont really know what im doing but im trying to learn.

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Mac,
    Count me in!

Reckinball,
    Sometimes they'll hit small pieces of cut bait better than the sabikis. You can just put little pieces of cut bait directly on the sabiki rigs and they'll hit it just fine. We were finding them Sunday in water from 16 to 21 feet deep on points.

4. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm good for this. I've been catching some with my 5 year old daughter at times for bait. She is addicted to the white perch fishing as well. I've been using the sabiki rig as well catching them coming off shallow flats in 15 to 25 foot of water in Mtn Island Lake. Most are about 9 inches in size. Early morning and late evening hours seem to work best for me.

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I love to catch them perch and I am getting pretty good at it. I like the cutbait method preferring threadfin on #4 light wire hooks. Rig you up a drop shot with about a 3/4 oz. weight on the bottom and tie two dropper hooks a foot apart above the weight. Put two little strips of cut bait on there and you are ready to go. Last three trips on Badin I've caught over 50 perch keeping the nice ones for the table and cattin' with the smaller ones. Heads and fillets make good baits, but just chunking them up works sometimes too. Anyway, for the locations of these little boogers. I've been catching them surprisingly shallow. Most in about 5 ft. of water. Find a long shallow point or hump in the lake and just chunk that rig out there and bump it back to the boat. You'll know within seconds if they are there. Badin fisherman, the golf course is loaded with perch. Find any shoal buoy and fish around it. They are there.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Count me in! Just don't vote me president at a secret meeting!!! :big_smile:

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    went playing with the perch and kitties today at Badin, kept 57 perch, all over 10". Right at dusk, had about an acre of 'em schooling at the golf course area and followed them for a while. caught a bunch of perch, a blue cat and a striper. A 8 lb. blue cat is a booger on 6 lb. line. That 4 lb. striper gave me a fit too. Had fun, next time I'll get pics of them schooling. That's a sight to see right there!