Pittsburgh Area

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by jab677, Mar 30, 2008.

1. jab677

jab677 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hello All,

I just recently moved to the Pittsburgh area from Raystown Lake. It seems to be pretty hard to find spots to shore fish the three rivers out here. Can anyone advise on where I could find some decent shore access around here? I am looking to land some flatheads as I have never had the oppurtunity to fish this particular species. I have been reading that blue gill and creek chubs are about the best bait to use. I was also curious as to where most of you guys catch your bait fish? I have heard that the North Park Lake is loaded with gills so this probably will not be too much of an issue. Anyways any advise to fishing for flatheads in the three rivers from shore will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jeff - Welcome to the B.O.C.! :0a25: :0a23: You can definetely get gills at N. Park. Try fishing near any of the dams for Flatheads would be a good starting point! :big_smile:

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff , try using any baitfish such as gills ,suckers, chubs etc. You can use them whole or cut them in pieces.

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Have heard it is good for flatheads under the Fort Duquense Bridge also The highland park dam area is good. The old State record came from that area and stood for over 20 years.Welcome to the BOC!

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The Three rivers area has numerous bridges. If I were to start, that's where i would fish.

Dams would be next.

Good luck and welcome!

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from kentucky you will love this site there is alot of helpful information on here

7. jab677

jab677 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the welcome and advice. I think as soon as we get some consistent 50-60 degree weeks without all the rain I will be trying my luck out here. Its always a challenge trying to learn how to fish new waters but it seems like there are a lot of people willing to help out. Thanks guys.

8. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Welcome to the boc Jeff you can get all the advice an help here that you need. these guys on here are full of it...........advice I mean great site an great bunch of guys. I would fish below any of the dams in your area that you can get in below. good fishin

9. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Jeff, is there a certain part of the three rivers area that you want to fish??

10. jab677

jab677 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well I live pretty close to the city and work near Cranberry. So I guess I would be looking to stay to within 30 miles or so of the city. I have also read about some pretty big flatheads coming out of the Beaver River. I might have to swing by and give that a try after work a few evenings here soon.

11. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Beaver River is a really good spot. There are some giants in there

12. jab677

jab677 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    So from a previous thread I noticed a lot of you like to fish Beaver near New Brighton. For a shore fishermen what would be a good access point to the river? I am noticing on google satellite that there are 2 dams in that area. Is it best to fish below the dam closest to the Ohio or are there good numbers of flatheads even above the dams at New Brighton throughout the Beaver?

13. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Jeff I fish the beaver river a lot, you definetly want to fish below the dam that is closest to the ohio river, go up about to the third redlight in town turn left go as far as you can turn right till you come to the under pass that goes under the railroad tracks that you can drive through now the walking under pass you can drive right to the dam there are new steps an several nice fishing places that are right on the water. I suggest you fish at the end of the handrail roughly 200 feet down stream from the dam. It is usually pretty swift you will need some weight to hold your bait down, but there is some flattys in there that will scare you. good fishin buddy:big_smile:

14. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Jeff send me a private message anytime if you want any more info. be glad to help out, dont waste your time fishing above this dam unless you want to catch some huge carp,