Pittsburgh area catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by FishinGuy, Feb 15, 2009.

1. FishinGuy

FishinGuy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh)
    I live east of pittsburgh and usually fish around tarentum, freeport, or burrell for cats, all near dams. with best success below lock 3 on the allegheney. but with all the consruction on the new turnpike bridge i think my best spot might be a little shaky for a while. i was hoping to find some suggestions for access to some good catfishing somewhere on the ohio, or any river. im not asking for specific spots or anything, just maybe a boat launch location or a park or bridge with fishing access. i have a boat and am willing to travel. but frequently also fish from shore. thanks alot for any help. good luck to all

2. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Welcome aboard Matt. Not too many Ohio river guys here on the Westside. Mostly Allegheny and Mon. With a boat, the area around the Tarentum Bridge is supposed to hold good cats, but Ive never fished it myself. Highland Park bridge holds good channels, but also alot of gar. I do most of my fishing further north from Freeport upriver. Ive tried around Tarentum/Brackenridge a little but bank access is an issue there, hopefully with the boat Ill be able to hit that area more this year. Might just see ya out there.

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    check out this thread
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101949

these guys prolly can help you the most with location (and boat launches,etc). Otherwise than I offer a great big welcome to the best catfish website on the internet. and some good advice... start by deciding what you want to catch (flatheads or channels), and focus on it.

Lots and Lots of awesome catting down your way. Nick is still featured in the Hall of fame BOC records as catching one of PA's three best flatheads (40#) and he fishes the Ohio. Shawn has the Hall of fame BOC record for a channel cat (33#); this incredible catch was within ounces of the PA state record book. Shawn fishes the mon.

It seems to me that the two big PA cities have all the great catting, espacially for flats..its not fair:angry::smile2:

Some people are catching channels in warm water outlets but the big flathead bite is still a couple months away. stick around and chat.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Matt - Welcome to the B.O.C.! :0a25: :0a23: There are Flatheads in every pool on the Allegheny. I do most of my fishing on the upper pools mainly between # 7 & #9 dams.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Welcome Matt!

Unfortunately I live on the other side of the state and cannot help, but there are plenty of Westerners on board to help you out.

6. FishinGuy

FishinGuy New Member

State:
    hey guys thanks for all the help. im mainly targeting flat heads, but i also fish for channels, carp, bass, and walleye in the rivers. is that an island i see below the dam in kittanning? can you access it by boat? or is it too close to the dam?

7. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Welcome Matt, I fish the Ohio alot but fish mostly from the Beaver river til it flows out of the state. There is a boat launch in Monaca and alot of good Flats spots right in that area

8. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    The closest islands are down around Manorville. There is a chain of islands there with alot of backwater area. If I remember correctly, there is a SMALL boat launch off Water Street in Manorville, but I think it is privately owned now. Ive duck hunted the islands and the river is pretty shallow around the islands. There is another island downstream around Rosston, where Crooked Creek runs in, with a pretty big launch, but it gets hit hard by bank fishermen in the summer. The river gets pretty deep right off this island and its an area that I would like to check out more this year. On the back side of the island is a channel and a little cove inside the island thats about 4 feet deep. The channel is really good for musky and I assume the flatheads would roam it at night. The island is covered in beaver so BE CAREFUL!!! I had an interesting experience with one while duck/goose hunting the island last year. They dont take too kindly to people in camo:wink:

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Yes there is a small island right below the dam. You can access it by boat but be careful. If you are approaching from downstream heading towards the dam stay to the left of the island. It is shallow on the right side and you could lose a prop! You can go above the island and then venture to the right if desired but use your depth finder, there is deeper water once you move past the island.

10. FishinGuy

FishinGuy New Member

State:
    thanks so much guys im really looking forward to checking out some new water this year. all the info has been a great help. angry beavers huh? might have to bring some protection...

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You do have 3 rivers to choose from. I'm stuck on one oversized stream:embarassed:.

12. FishinGuy

FishinGuy New Member

State:
    oversized stream? judging by your avatar its an oversized stream with over sized cats.

13. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey fishinguy, there are a handfull of boat launch on the mon and the ohio. i don't have a boat but the ones i know are: for the mon there is one in the south side behind the gaint eagle(u can fish from shore there also), and i think there is one by kennywood area. for the ohio there is one in glenfield off of rt 65(ohio river blvd), and one futher up in swekley.u can fish from shore at both of these. i like the glenfield one it has a big parking lot and easy walk to river. the one in swekley is not as big and u have to park on the street. one more thing don't know if u do but tommorow thru sunday is the outdoor show they have a ton of free maps there from the fish comm. and other helpfull stuff. just a fyi, hope this helps. JUST ONE MORE MONTH AND WE WILL ALL HEAR DRAG ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!