Pitiful Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RiverKing, May 1, 2006.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Hey, went out saturday to the GMR, stayed for about 4 hours, hardly got any bites, the one bite i did get, i set the hook, and it was about a 4 inch channel cat...then took my boat out to Ceasars Creek on sunday stayed there for about 6 hours, didnt even get a dang bite..i tried everything, all kinds of bait, fished the bottom, drifted, i couldnt buy a bite, it was horrible...at least the boat was running good, that is the only positive thing about that trip, besides being out on the water..anyone in Ohio have any luck this weekend

2. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    I fished for about 5 hours on Saturday night. There was no action for the three of us either. We used cut bait, worms, and stink bait. The banks were lined with crawfish. I caught a couple dozen with my hands just to pass the time. Maybe the fish are full?

Water temp has been above 55 degrees since April 11 and above 60 degrees since the 15th. Does it seem logical that the spawn would come early this year?

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Maybe the spawn did come early due to the warm winter, and the warm water earlier that normal...i used cut sucker and shad, live suckers and chubbs, worms, livers, it was horrible..my buddy said he went to the Ohio River on friday afternoon and fish off the bank and caught 4 flatheads, so he got some action there, but nothing around here, maybe your right..where were you fishing at

4. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Even if the spawn started early, it wouldn't be over already. I believe it's about 4 weeks of decent fishing.

I fished below the Chatauqua Dam on Saturday. It's normally heavy pressure, but there was no one there.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Lets just hope it gets better man

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Spencer

Nope its not warm enough yet for the spawn on any of the cats yet.

We all get skunked a few times...at least I do :crazy: !

7. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    cats wont start spawning until water temp gets around 70, Of the 30 or so cats that I have caught the last 3 weeks only 2 of them have even had any eggs yet. The fish that I have been catching at brookville have come off of the main lake points, and points in the coves with shallow water on the point with deep water around it. On the ohio river ive been catching the good ones in 10-14 feet of water. Which means to me is they are just now staging. Also it seems like the fishing has been better through the week in shallower water because most of the rain has been coming early in the week. by the weekend it seems that the water has been falling and the fish stuffed there gords early in the week. The best thing that I have found to pattern fish is a journal. If u note all important info you may notice a real pattern as to where the fish are in certain conditions. In falling water conditions I always start with the steep drop offs with cover. In rapidly rising conditions I fish in mouth of creeks in extreamely shallow water, or any place there is heavy drainage coming down a valley of a hill. Good luck