Pitching & Flipping

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by veryama1975, Feb 12, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Why do you "pitch" or "flip" instead of just use a normal cast? Would it be very useful to learn these techniques for catfishing?

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    When you flip or pitch you can more accurately put your bait where you want it, without making a very big splash that would scare off the fish, most of the time when flipping you are pretty close to the target.. boat dock,stump,tree top etc..I actually use this all the time when fishing bluffs for cats with a slip float..

3. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    I must say I generally don't use those techniques for cats, but I use it all the time for trout and bass for the reasons given above by BLKCLOUD

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never used either ,but it wasnt from lack of tryin ,I just never could master them.good luck if you can.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fished the Ford Big Bass tourney a couple years. When we flipped, it was HEAVY vegation and you really needed a hookset. Wasn't as much finess as it was brute strength to wrestle em thru the garbage. A 3 lb. fish can weight 10 before ya get em in.
    I Agree that you can flip quieter than a person can cast if ya tryin to put the slip on some gun shy fish.This is MY bassfishin exp. only

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    I catch 75% of my Ba$$ this way, because some of the best Ba$$ fishing is in or around cover (boat dock, stump, tree top etc..) & "pitching or Flipping" your bait is the best way to get that bait in there to them.
    You will catch some Big Ba$$ by doing this because you are not making a lot or noise as you place the lure in there home where they live & the bigger Ba$$ just love to stay at home and let the food come to them (In a way, - we would like are food to come to us sometime too).
    :wink:
    LoL

:0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

7. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Use those techniques for bass but really dont use them for cat'n

8. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    This works good if your fishing a bluff or fall down in a lake. I prefer to get as close as I can to where I'm fishing.I like to flip/pitch in a river just above a log jam.I don't like to make long cast when using live bait.As mentioned above I use a float when fishing log jams,bluffs and fall downs. Allen

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I have never use the technique for catfishing, but I've used it for bass a lot. I never flip, b/c of my little T-Rex arms:smile2:, but I do pitch a lot. It's a good method, especially for my favorite target, docks. You can get it way up under them and it also doesn't make as loud of a splash. It takes some getting used to and I have lost a little since there aren't any docks at all to pitch to here in the eastern part of NC. It works around logs, overhanging trees and such as well.

10. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Do any of you guys know some good web sites that teach how to pitch & flip?

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    on the FLW's web site the pros have alot of tips that will help you. FLW.com will get ya there

12. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    You probably meant flwoutdoors.com, right? When I put in flw.com it took me to precision instruments manufacturer. LOL