Pitbulls... what are your thoughts

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TA2D, Jun 15, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What do you think of the American Pit Bull Terrier, I am not looking for one, but I have no problems with them. I believe that there are very few "bad" dogs, but there are "BAD" dog owners, who don't realize what they are getting into or think that they will be "cool" because they have a pit bull. I have seen both sides of the story, I knew guys that had them for fighting dogs, and I knew people who had them as loving pets. Not wanting to start a heated debate that will go to the High Intensity forum. Try to keep it clean please.

Aaron ( who loves all dogs )

TA2D

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    im not really sure what to about them behavior wise but i do know that when they're not tryin to kill you they're some cool dogs

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    This will get moved to the H.I. Area soon lol Pits are fine raised em all my life its the owners that make them bad. I can make any dog mean and vicious. and make any dog nice and sweet its the owners.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have 2 of them, and they are both great dogs, but i also treat them like i would treat any other dog...Dogs are what you raise them up to be..One is 8 and one is 5...I have never had any problems with either one of them..Also have a cat, neither one of the dogs bother him either..Actually the boy dog and the cat are best buddies...People who raise their dogs up to fight should not be allowed to walk the streets, let alone own a dog...Pitbulls are just like any other dogs, they want to please their owner..so it all depends on the owner

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yes Arlington alot of low life thug types do breed them for violence, and that is one of the reasons pit bulls have bad names...Like i said the people that do that stuff need way stiffer penalties....actually the pitbull is the number 1 stolen dog, because it is actually not in their nature to be human aggresive...Back in the days of "organized" dog fights, the handlers would have to trade dogs, so if the dog was aggressive towards people, it would be considered "no good" and they would put the dog down..They couldnt be in the fighting ring trying to attack the handlers and the referee

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've had a few friends that have had them. They have always been the best dogs. I agree that it comes from how they're raised. Heck, my rat terriers, when younger, could be very rough when playing. We just had to "tone it down" to keep them from getting too bad. I've also heard..don't know if it's true or not..but that it's best to research the "stock" you're buying them from. Not to buy "fighting stock", but look for "show stock". And yes, like all dogs, I've seen some bad ones, too. Anytime a dog breed becomes popular, everyone wants to get in on the "breeding & money-making" part of it. You've seen it with Labs, German shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers. And in the small breeds, they just become more nervous & high-strung.Sorry to go on so long...just my observations. Good post for thought, Aaron.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I have two of them. No problems with them at all. I think part of it is training, but also look for poor breeding. You don't want to start off with a dog that was designed to fight. If you do your research I think you can end up witha great pet!

A side note...I was just bitten my a min pin walking to my truck after work. Not serious hurt, but the little thing did break skin and it was unprovoked. Any type of dog has the potential to bit someone.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    A labrodor retreiver just bite some kids face off in Ohio, pits are just like any other dog, stronger, but they dont come out of the womb and start biting people..They are babies when they are born, they have to be taught just like any other dog

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I know what you mean BaitFish,but ordinary people that love dogs dont see it as a macho thing, but drug dealers, and criminals use the dogs for bad reasons, and to make themselves look more "menacing..I mean a responsible dog owner wouldnt let their dog roam the neighbor hood unatended in the first place..My male pitbull is a HUGE baby, one of the gentlest dogs i have ever had, shoot, he isnt happy at night unless he is on the bed and under the covers...The problem is that they are so powerful, but so are alot of other dogs....Back before the criminal element was as strong as it is, Alot of respected people owned Pits including theodore rossevelt..They are good pets

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    John there are some idiots best word I have for them that raise pits rotties and some other breeds to fight. These people have no place on earth in my book. To me a pit aint a macho thing mine and others i have come across are loving caring dogs and make great pets.

11. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas

I tend to agree with Matt.We had one and the only thing he would do is lick you to death.

12. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    I had one see lived to be 10 year old. That was the best dog she loved kids and every one that was around her. She never tryed to bite anyone even the meter man.

13. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Pitbulls have always been given a bad name ,their biggest problem is the owners and the inbreeding.Inbreeding is the worst thing you can do to a breed of dog or anything else.The more they are inbred the meaner the dogs are going to be.Did you know a whitetail doe runs her button bucks out of the area so they can not inbreed.That should tell us something...

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Pits and rottweilers both get a very bad rep because of the people who raise them. It is true that some dogs are born with bad genetics but, responsible breeders will take the proper means to have those pups paired up with responsible owners who will take the time raise them right. I own a rottie named Duke. He is only a year old but like his parents he is a very muscular looking dog which I know intimidates some people. When they get to know him however, they find that he is just a big goof who loves to be pet. I never let my youngest child around him unsupervised even though Duke absolutely loves to be around children. So, long story short...pits like ANY dog are only as good as their owners.

15. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I agree with Mutt any dog can be made mean. I do not condon making a dog mean. But there are some people who do it by line breeding,Getting someone else to whip them when thay are puppies.
    My way of thinking some chihuahua's from birth are meaner than a pitbull ever was. Because thay are a one person dog . thay are very protective.

16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    My little brother lives in Indy and was telling me about a couple of these. It sounds like they might be owned by dirtbag types but what can you do to keep them out of their hands? I just don't understand.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Many people my age remember them as the school playground pets.They would faithfully walk the family children to school,play with all the children and other dogs all day.Then walk the kids home.Belligerence of any type was not known as it was not tolerated.The dog knew better than to even chase a cat.German Shepherds and Collies were the supposed vicious dog of the day.As for someone caught stealing a child's dog for fighting,seems like most just disappeared.You didn;t hear of them anymore.If you did,it was because you heard of them getting caught drowning in the river,as it was put.Don;t personally know of it,but kids hear grownups talk.I did personally see a man git a severe beating for sicking his German Shepherd on a child's pet cur at a service station.I was the child.He was then loaded in the back of a truck and drove off,supposedly to be dumped way down the road.His dog was destroyed right there and left with him in the truck.I think the man was drinking.I do remember that he was not a local man,but visiting with the man that beat him.People talk about things on here and it often brings back memories that I didn;t know I still had.Children belonged to the community back then,to be looked after and punished as needed by all.Seems to me that Pit Bulls are loved by their owners and often hated by the people that just read about them.This seems to be the way of human nature.Back then milk cows accidentally and deliberately killed more people than dogs.The dogs were known for saving lives around Livestock.I love animals,but I will not ignore a vicious Animal or PERSON.I have a vicious wild caught killer,yes a parrot killing parrot that needed a home.He had been passed from one professional to another.I have contained him.I am his friend.He has no friend.I don;t blame him.I blame the person who caught him.peewee-williams

18. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Good posts! I have witnessed a two year old using a pits cheeks to stand up! The dog just stood there and took it. I know that the pitbull is an offshoot of the Stafordshire Terrier, which are supposed to be great dogs. I would like to get a pit in the distant future, but trying to convince my wife that it is a good thing it like trying to part the red sea, it ain't gonna happen! Keep the posts coming and keep them clean!

Aaron

TA2D

19. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Like Pit Bulls, If I Ever Get Another Dog I Think It Will Be A Pit Bull, The Red Nose Kind. I Also Like Rottweilers, I Owned One Years Ago, It Was The Best Dog I Ever Owned.

20. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    What is the H.I. area,and where is it at?