Pistol Permits

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Poppa, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have had a pistol or consealed weapon permit for 35 yrs. and never
    needed it. To make a long story short this past Saturday at 3 a.m. two
    black males with bandanas on their faces tried to force me off the road.
    I was in my pick-up toeing a farm tractor. They started shooting my truck
    with what I believe to be a pellet gun. They shot my truck 13 times starting
    with the tail gate and worked their way forward. It lasted for 5 miles.
    They stayed on my drivers side in my blind spot. They moved closer and
    had their bumper even with my drivers side door and shot out my drivers
    side window at this point I unloaded my revolver into their front quarter
    and grill and they turned away on a side road and were gone. I went to
    the police station covered with glass and made a report. The police upon
    seeing I had a licensed hand gun and permit were very nice and respectful
    and are investigateing the incident. They seem to think they were going
    to rob me and take my truck and tractor. There have been a lot of tractor
    thefts in our area.
    The point I am trying to make is I don't think things would have went as
    smoothly if I had not had a permit. I may have been the criminal. Brothers
    if you carry a hand gun, get a permit. You never know when you might
    need it. I hope you never do.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I am with you my man, I am finally getting mine.

3. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Man that sucks! To bad you couldn't have got a good head shot on the driver. I have a permit but could carry one even without the permit as long as it wasn't consealed Fl is a "right to carry" state. But yes a permit is a must in some states and is a good idea to have one in any state just to cover your but if things go bad.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Reading over GA law, this doesn't sound right?

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We have the same law, if you can only hunt with a gun with 5 shots you cant carry a pistol that can hold more.

But on the permit thing that is a good idea. I have almost had to use mine, so being legal would be good. Remember guys you cannot have a loaded gun permit or not after one beer.

And to whoever said too bad you didnt have a head shot on the driver. Taking ones life is not something you want to do. I will do it in a heart beat, but man it will screw you up after the fact. No matter how much of a man you. You will get over it, but it will change you.

Now we need to find out which states accept out of state permits. I carry a gun in my truck and boat no matter what. Sorry guys there are some dumb people out there and i will protect my family at all costs. But if its not needed it never gets touched and i don't take it out and show people.

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Thank the good Lord that you had your weapon witchu and praise the Lord that you had a permit... Good for you !!!

7. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    Great post !! I finally got mine after 20 years of always caring one in all my vehicles.

Heard a horror story from a friend in Texas. Went out the next day and got mine.

The scary thing now is the rumors of the current legislation in congress and the senate concerning gun control. I am a veteran with a clean driving record who has never seen the inside of a court room. My 2nd amendment right is one that is close to my heart. They will never take mine away while I am alive.

There is a saying that I have heard
    " God made All Men.......Smith and Wesson made them equal !"

8. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I am sorry that that happen to you. I wish I had one when I am out fishing alone at night on the bank. Some people are just flat up to NO GOOD!:angry:

9. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    First Thank God you were alright and everything turned out for the better, I think I would have used the trailer like a Louisville Slugger and tried for an out of the park hommer!
    As for the quote above, In many states he could have been arrested for shooting the car even though it more than likely saved his life. If you look over your concealed carry license paperwork and laws they clearly state you cannot show your weapon to stop an assault. The ONLY time you are permitted to pull the weapon is when you are afraid for your or someone else's life and you must shoot for effect. In that, IF you shot someone in the leg and they stopped and the cops got there and you said "I knew he would stop if I shot him in the leg" You are going to be arrested and put in jail. The ONLY legal use is to shoot for persons center mass, a specific head shot would not be legal. You must shoot for the main torso. A friend went through this several years ago in Fla when someone opened his door at a stop light in Tampa and the guy had a gun. My friend fired as the guy did and he shot the guy in the leg hip and chest. They went to court and he got cleared but it was because he said he was shooting for the body but the guy was in the process of kicking him while shooting at him. He was facing jail time and a civil case for the leg and hip shot. (Ironically it was the hip shot that killed the guy).
    In a threat for your life where you feel the need to use deadly force, it MUST LEAGALLY be deadly force that you use.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    it will change you, but think of the people he could have saved by taking out the trash! a lot less crimes if the criminals were all dead. i would have run them off the road and ended the rain of terror for everyone. now he has to worry about them evening the odds on him.

we are glad it didnt go wrong for you brother!

11. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Truer words were never spoken. Pulling the trigger is the easy part, but living with the memory of taking the life of another person lives with you forever. We are taught from childhood that killing is "wrong" so if we find ourselves in a situation where we do take someone's life, rationalization and justification becomes almost impossible because our past teachings become our biggest enemy. I am more than 40 years removed from Nam but I still, at times, have flashbacks(dream state now) and wake up in a cold sweat. I sincerely hope that no one ever has to face that very real possibility because the cost of the cure is astronomic. Stay safe and Pray for a better world!!!:wink:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  12. wallerus

wallerus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have several firarms and a carry permit. I live by one rule, if you see my gun she will speak to you and she will speak untill she's out of breath. I know some people that own them only to show the bad guy. May as well use a club. I heard they had to make a law in AZ that if you carry a gun it has to be loaded. Well DUH. Glad things worked out for you and hope it's finished.

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    O don't get me wrong guys, if i feel threatened by some thug or if someone breaks into my house, I am going to shoot to kill. I will not hesitate to use deadly force in any situation where it is needed. And I would like to see these laws stating you have to shoot to kill. So if i pull my gun and disarm the thug I can go to jail?

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    You guys with concealed carry permits are lucky!!! In Maryland its all but impossible to get one. You pretty much have to know the right people.

For the reasons stated, I do not carry. If i shot someone I would be in bigger trouble than the criminal. Probably have all my guns taken away (i'm sure it would be a felony). Now, if the shotgun is in the truck its unloaded, but it dont take long to put a shell in it either.

With all that said, I have heard a saying:

" It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I wish they would make the carry laws Federal laws. I have a permit to carry concealed, but it isn't good in a lot of places I go. I just got back from a trip up north. The places I needed it the most, Toronto, New York, Baltimore, Boston, Philly, etc., my permit is no good.

16. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I always wondered what would happen....
    "IF" a person with a CCW permit in there home state traveled to a state where they could not carry and had something happen to them that could have been prevented and they sued the non CCW state?

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think they would go broke defending themselves. It's messed up that, when on the road, I have to stop at the border of, say Maryland, unload my gun and lock it in the trunk. If I get stopped with it in the cab with me, it's a felony, and I can lose my permit back home because of that felony. That sucks!

18. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Be careful coming to maryland with a pistol locked in the trunk. The way it was explained to me, it has to be cased, unloaded (mag has to be empty also), and the case has to be in plain view. What's real messed up in maryland, is its illegal to stop anywhere but a shooting range (be it a business or your buddies house), or a gunsmith if you have a pistol in the vehicle. If you stop at a gas station to get gas, you are breaking the law.

19. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve New Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

20. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I agree with you about this. A while back my truck was broken into in front of my house. I ran out and almost caught the guy. He jumped in his old car and took off. My neighbor ran out and tried to shoot a pistol at the man. it didn't go off because he had forgotten to jack a shell in the chamber. I told him afterward I was glad he hadn't because I thought it was really not the time for something like that. My son at the time was sitting in the living room cleaning his 357 revolver. It was empty and I told him the same. It was not a crime that needed that kind of action.
    But if someone is breaking in my house or trying to get me or my wife or son out of a vehicle. or run us off the road. They are going to get an education real quick.
    They caught the guy that broke into my truck the next night. He had been breaking into cars and trucks all over the county for a while. He spent a couple nights in jail and got right out. He was in and out several times after that and it took him trying to run a policeman down with his car before they decided to to something with him.