Pistol input needed

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Txbluecatman, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I am looking into purchasing another handgun when I found this one,

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=226&category=Revolver

at a local shop for $300, NIB. I wanted to hear from anyone that has this model, and if it was a solid wheel gun. Will primarily be used as a hog backup while bow hunting and maybe used to take a few white tail doe's. As far as ammo I would be hand loading probably with the 225 grain barnes XPB.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive talked quite a few people about Taurus ad they all say there great guns. I'm planning on a Taurus Judge myself, .45 long colt and/or .410 gauge.

3. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the reply, Ozzy. I saw the judge at the shop. I even picked it up for a bit. The tracker just had a better feel in my hands. Not to mention the price on the tracker sounds like a steal.

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have a taurus tracker 6" in .22 mag and I love mine. If I'm in my truck,
    boat, or 4-wheeler my tracker is close at hand if not on my side.

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    glock 22 with a model 35 lone wolf barrel and Iridum night sights!

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I have a Taurus 44 mag but not that model in SS. Accuracy is great but I do have one problem with mine. There is a bolt with a spring inside the gun that holds the cylinder to the gun, that screws into the frame, hope IM explaining this right. Occasionally the spring comes off the bolt allowing the cylinder to come loose, the spring is actually bent. I havent contacted Taurus yet but Ijust put it back together and go on. It seems to happen only with magnum loads, 24 grains or so of W296.

7. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    ive heard good things about taurus and that judge is a good looking revolver but I am a sig supporter. i watched a torture test with a sig the guy put the gun on top of a traffic cone and smacked it up against a wall with a baseball bat picked it up slapped a clip in and it shot every time now a sig is going to cost you alot more then a taurus but a revolver is going to shot everytime you pull the trigger as where you could have problems with a semi auto, i think its all personal opinion what works for me wont work for you and what works for you wont work for me. but i will say this while you have six shots in your revolver i have 15 in my semi auto

8. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I have fired several Taurus revolvers and all shot well. I have an older 38 special revolver that I sent them for something that in NO WAY was there problem but they fixed it, repaired another thing that was not an issue at all and sent it back with no charge for the repairs.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive fired several kinds of taurus pistols and think there a fine gun.I think the one your showing would be plenty.Now with the ported barrel you will lose a little velocity but shouldnt be enough to make a difference,also you have to remember that with a ported barrel if you have to shoot in a hurry you cant do it from the hip cause the gasses coming out the ports will get ya.but you will feel the difference in the kick it will be much less so the ports do help in those cases.I have a springfield 1911 its the v-10 series and its ported and i like it alot,it allows quicker follow up shots.

10. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Taurus makes a very good gun. I carried a PT-99 for years and never had a problem with it. I've still got it, and love it, but switched to a Glock because my department furnishes it.

11. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have two Tarus handguns. A .22 and a .357. I like them both.

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    John, I have a model 425, in 41magnum, that model in ss. It's a fine unit, but I hated the grips. They are made to absorb recoil, but they snagged clothing like nothing else I've ever carried, and also, the grip grabs yer hand. They are almost "tacky". You reach for yer gun, and the grips do not position your hand instinctively. If you grab it a lil off center it stays that way....but Hogue makes a cool replacement set. So it saved the day.
    Taurus can be trusted. But if I hadn't replaced the grips, I just wouldn't carry it, except for hunting. Your holster will be for a N frame S&W also. Just a tiny bit loose, but secure.
    Hope this helps. $300 sounds like a nice deal.

13. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Buy it. Great gun and a good deal here is mine in .357 mag. I wouldnt trade this one for nothin. Mine is the 6.5 barrel ported. With a 2x scope.

Attached Files:

14. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i own a taurus and there great and have a good warranty

15. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    got a taurus 38 2" bbl, stainless 5 shot. love that gun. taurus lifetime warranty ( got to love that too). $300?? Wow, buy it.

16. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I have the Taurus 82, .38 spl and 605, .357, both great guns.

S&W went to brazil to set up production.
    They were kicked out and Taurus, Roisi and Berreta were born.

I saw a few .44 mag once fired brass at a local store.
    Price and shipping could bring the cost up to new brass.

17. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I finally made a choice. I went back to the shop to pick up the tracker, but they had already sold it. But they had this one....

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=224&category=Revolver

out on display. The shop owner cut me a deal on it. The final price with the revolver, a set of dies, and 100 rounds of 240 grain jhp was right at $500. So far it has been a blast to shot. I have'nt got to test it on the local hogs just yet, but I soon will.

I also picked up some new brass and some H110 at the local Bass Pro.

Now if only I could find a local gun shop that had large pistol primers in stock I would be set. I have primers on order from Mid South and Midway USA. Will see which ones get here first.:angry:

18. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
  19. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    For hogs, might I recommend a hard cast lead bullet over the JHP. You want penetration, not expansion. After all, the 44 mag is already punching a heck of a hole. Look at Oregon Trail Bullets' 240gr RNFP or or Beartooth Bullets' 250 gr Keith bullet (my favorite). Both, when loaded to specs, will punch clean through a hog giving one big old wound channel to bleed out from.

Also, like the gun you got over the one you first posted. Ported barrels aren't at all fun to shoot or be around when shot (very, very loud, especially to the shooter).