Pisgah Lake

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dburkhead, Oct 7, 2008.

1. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tried out Pisgah Lake in the Atterbury Fish and Wildlife Area this past Sunday.

I was fishing near the boat ramp on the north side of the lake. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I don't have a boat and since my daughter is afraid of small boats from a canoe tipping incident, that's not likely to change soon.

First, this isn't a great place for shore fishing. The ground was wet and soft close to the water, without a really good place to stand or sit. The brush was tall right up to the water to either side, so there wasn't an easy way (I was accompanied by two girls, one 11 and one 4 so "easy walking" was essential) to move out to try different locations. This pretty much put us in that one spot.

Second, the water was pretty heavily choked with weeds. I thought that this might be a good thing--cover for fish to hide under. The water also seemed to be rather shallow out as far as I could cast.

We ran several things: nightcrawlers on small hooks (thinking bluegill) and I tried plastic grub lures and a couple of surface lures. The jitterbug I gave up on pretty quickly as it gathered enough weeds to trigger the drag on my reel. A plastic frog ran cleaner and I tried that for a bit near the edges of the weedbeds looking for bass. I also ran a "catfish line" with chicken liver to start and later with a commercial stinkbait.

In the end, we got nothing.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report, hope you do better next time

3. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    One more bit of information. While we were there, a gentleman brought his boat in. He'd caught a few bluegill on b-moths.

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    Have you tried the driftwood public fishing area?? It is south of hospital rd, north of I65, on the west side of 31. there are 3 lakes there: medowlark pit, plover pit, and sandpiper pit. personally i have only fished here 1 time. it was from the bank. i was referred by a friend of mine that goes there often in his small boat. the night i fished there, i fished on the southwest corner of the big lake all night long for cats. we had a few good runs, but the only thing we caught was a small bullhead, that my girlfriend reeled in. around 4 in the morning, i started hearing fish rolling around along the banks of that pond, and also the smaller one behind us. around 5 i started throwing some spinner baits, and crank baits along the SW corner of the big lake, and NW corner of the smaller. I did manage to catch quite a few largemouth bass that morning with 3 of them over 4lbs. not sue how the bluegill fishing is in there. or the cats. i bought one of those fishing books from walmart a while back, and it says they do stock all three lakes with catfish about every two years.. below is a picture of one of the many largemouth i caught that morning

Attached Files:

5. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Driftwood was one of the places I was considering, but the reports I had on it from a couple of other places was that it had been "trashed." I didn't want to take a friend's young daughter, let alone my own daughter, to a place I thought might be questionable. I thought to take a look at it on my own some time.

6. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    My wife & I talked to alot of dealers about boats. They agreed that pontoons are safer. One of the boats that we like the best is solid
    aluminium construction & is 100% maintance free. I don't have the website address for yahoo pontoon boats but their prices are reasonable & their sizes can run from 8'-14'. You might want to check it out & it might help you daugther with her fears.