Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wasn't really what I was hoping for but more of another lets take a reel apart. I seldom do that but maybe once a year take one apart to oil it. Don't get into it much more than that. I have a Kast King Rover I got a year or so ago and never have removed the side plates yet. I can't imagine how a reel could get very dirty inside. But did like what you had to say about using it, Getting to thinking I'm wanting to try one of those reels and glad to hear good about it. I got my Kast King about the same way you got your reel. Guy trashing it on the internet and I think I paid about $45 for it and had no great expectations for it but for the price figured I'd see if a reel really could be that bad. Know what, it's as good as my ABU's and my Millionaire! I was shocked how nice it is.

Nice thing about your video is I didn't have much trouble following you, you didn't speak really fast and with my hearing that instant go away. Have to use CC in all of them and even ten the guys that talk to fast run me off.

I think when I finally give in I'm gonna try one f those reels now! Thanks for the video!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don Fischer thanks for the feedback. I was really taking it apart to look for wear and tear more than anything. I knew there were some plastic gears in it so I wanted to see how they held up over a summer of use.

On top of that, I’ve always been a spinning reel person and haven’t had much experience with bait casters. I wanted to get a baseline of what to expect them to look like after use and I was pleasantly surprised. I was honestly expecting to see more wear and bearing dust since it was a cheap reel.

I’ve got too much hillbilly in me to talk fast. Lol. Thanks for checking it out and letting me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I pull my reels apart just enough to lube the bearings every couple months or so (depending on how much use it got) but I only do full tear downs if there's a reason like re-greasing gears being needed or something broke...plastic idler gears are the bane of my life 😂😂😂

Reactions: ramon06

·
Registered
996 Posts
Not directly related to this video but I judge a good set of 6 reels by if it can survive the abuse of 100 or more hard days on the water and 20-40 thousand pounds of catfish over them. I find that a good reel will wear out at the pawl and worm gear from casting way faster than anything will from reeling in fish.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Not directly related to this video but I judge a good set of 6 reels by if it can survive the abuse of 100 or more hard days on the water and 20-40 thousand pounds of catfish over them. I find that a good reel will wear out at the pawl and worm gear from casting way faster than anything will from reeling in fish.
That makes sense. You guide so reels get used a lot more than the average guy would use them. All these years I just though I'd bought indestructible reels! Well still think that about my ABU's, First one was a 5000 lasted 30+yrs and house fire killed it! have a Daiwa Millionaire for not sure how many years now and it's doing great. I think a large part of the life of my reels is I seldom ever use the same reel two days in a row. Like them all so keep switching! I wonder how long that first 5000 would have gone had I used it a lot more/ I like to think just as long! Something about those of us that don't fish for a living as Capt Brad does, We really don't need a reel that will last even 10 or 15 years because we, mostly, buy a reel we just want and never really wear one out. I think at last count I have 13 level wind's and one conventional. 13 level wind consists of two low profile's I seldom use! But I got them boy. Really nice for fishing for small mouth bass with light line, that's something I seldom do! I had not one need of either but got them because a fit hit me! Even in my reels I keep trading off I have a Shakesepear 2000! If I was going after big fish, I wouldn't use it. Just seem's like a junky reel to me but just keeps on working! How can you bad mouth something that keeps on working?

Got a question Capt Brad, what do you do if someone want's to use their own rod and reel? On a party boat in the ocean I took my own and the captain wasn't real happy about it. He had light spinning rods he wanted people to use and I came on with my ABU 6500! I used it too. Just something about using other peoples equipment that turns me off. About like borrowing someone else's wife on your wedding night! :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Got a question Capt Brad, what do you do if someone want's to use their own rod and reel? On a party boat in the ocean I took my own and the captain wasn't real happy about it. He had light spinning rods he wanted people to use and I came on with my ABU 6500! I used it too. Just something about using other peoples equipment that turns me off. About like borrowing someone else's wife on your wedding night! :)
I prefer people use my stuff as it is easier for me to deal with because I know my gear. I find that people tend to bring their "favorite" rod/reel and it is rigged way to heavy for what we are doing. (OVERKILL) I know that causes missed fish. I also prefer to do that casting to put the bait right where I want it. You lose that line when people bring their own and cast on their own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts