Piraiba Man Eating Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ace, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    These catfish can reach a weight of 661 lbs and a lenght of 6 feet 4 inches
    long .Teddy Roosevelt on man-eating catfish

In his book through the Brailian Wilderness, published in 1914, former president Theodore Roosevelt described the piraiba catfish.

"It is called piraiba-pronounced in four syllables," he wrote. "While stationed at the small city of Itacoatiara, on the Amazon, at the mouth of the Madeira, the doctor had seen one of these monsters, which had been killed by the two men it had attacked. They were fishing in a canoe when it rose from the bottom and, raising itself half out of the water, lunged over the edge of the canoe at them, with open mouth. They killed it with their falcons, as machetes are called in Brazil. It was taken round the city in triumph in an ox-cart; the doctor saw it, and said it was three meters long.

"He said that swimmers feared it even more than the big cayman, because they could see the latter, whereas the former lay hidden on the bottom of the river .... In many villages on the lower Madeira the people ... built stockaded enclosures in the water in which they bathed, not venturing to swim in the open water for fear of the piraiba."

Brazilians living along backcountry reaches of the Amazon still consider piraibas a menace to unwary swimmers. "Perhaps they eat people; perhaps not," one native told me. "Are you brave enough to swim the river and find out?"

Ace :0a23: :frk-big:

2. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    this is the year i catch a flathead that big:) :)

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    thats a shark not a catfish..lol

4. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    if thats the same cat i watch a show once about a giant catfish in the amazon and they tried to catch one by putting a chain around a tree and throwing out a huge piece of meat,they marked the tree with a red flag and two days later they came back and the tree was gone,in the river,never knew what took the meat but they think it was the catfish

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Those are some serious cats. I would love to hook into one!!

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Looks like a cross between a Shark and a Catfish. Killer Combo!

7. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i read a article about those cats they are huge and nice looking also

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Looks like yet another challenge for the BOC Staff to me...LOL:0a34:

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Paul, DH, there is your next assignment after you catch a Wels cat. Get down there to the Amazon with some cranes and get ya one of them buggers.

10. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    That is one pretty fish, especially the first picture. It has allot of sharklike features. People catch big sharks and marlin on rod and reel so don't see why one of these would be such a big problem. Don't get me wrong it would definantly be hell of a fight but you could do it.

11. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Road trip! Anybody?

12. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I thank it is the missin link! That must be why I love Sharks and Catfish so much.

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    man that does look like a half shark, half catfish. It would be a blast to hook into one of those

14. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    And they catch them while floating on hollowed out logs?Makes me feel like I'm way overgunned for the cats I fish for.:frk-big:

BILL

15. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    How would you like to come face to face with that kitty while wading waist deep in the river? I think that running on top of the water in the opposite direction would adequately describe my reaction.

16. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    hey Ol Whiskers i'll take you up on that offer for a roadtrip lets get into a bunch of them

17. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    My thoughts exactly!
    Id almost be afraid to see what that monster would do to my set ups!

18. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    it might destroy you set ups but can you imagine the rush of adrenaline you would get when you hooked into one.

19. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    anyone wanna try to noodle for them? maybe if i was atached to a chain but then again i dont feel like having my hands ripped off.

20. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I don't know how many of you guy's watch fishing shows, but a week or two ago they were fishing for them on The Hunt For Big Fish on OLN. They didn't get any monsters but still some big ones were caught. Be on the lookout cause they will probably replay it.