Pink Tomatoes?!?!?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by boswifedeb, Jan 4, 2010.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Got the new Burpee catalog, and danged if they don't have pink tomatoes! I mean pepto bismol pink! Y'all ever see anything like that?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Deb,thet look better than the black ones to me :smile2:

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i seen that but i agree with load the black ones look nasty

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There was/is a heritage tomatoe called Big Pink. I knew a fella in Marietta Ohio that grew them, many years ago. I'm not sure it's the same type, but these were BIG.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A couple years ago, I planted some oxheart tomatoes,,, they were pink,,,tasted OK,,,

6. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I want my tomatoes to look like tomatoes. I haven't heard of pink or black tomatoes, but my parents have been planting yellow tomatoes for several years now, and I can't bring myself to eat them. I bet if you put some yellow, pink, black, and red tomatoes in a bowl, and added a few green ones, that someone would think they were over sized jelly beans.

All of that, along with different colors of cauliflower and other various odd stuff they have now makes me wonder what's really going on with all this genetic stuff they're doing on plants now. It makes me wonder if these weren't just a mistake and they decided just to go ahead and see if they could sell them.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    In my area we plant a pink tomato called the Ponderosa. Good tasting.

8. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    had a buddy give me some this year were good have growen yello ones they have less acid but still red is best

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    got my parks catalog today giving me spring fever all these seed catalogs going to start my list in a few

10. KY_465

KY_465 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've seen these in the Burpee catalog too. I've raised pink varieties over the years, but these just dont look like something that I'd want to even try. The "pepto bismol" color sure isn't very appealing.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I will have to say ,once you get past the fact that many dont have the red coloring we are accustomed to,they are still " MATERS" and they all taste like plain ole maters to me.

12. KY_465

KY_465 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They sure do. I usually raise the German Queen. They're a larger purplish tomato that are low acid and almost have a sweet taste. For a long time I thought I had to raise a different variety for different uses, but I've gotten away from that.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If any of you have problems with birds pecking your tomatos before you can get them picked ,the off colored ones will darn near eliminate the holes you find from birds on a dead ripe tomato. Thats the main reason I started growing the big yellow ones. .

14. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Daddy used to grow both red and yellow tomatoes. I've always liked the red ones better.

As for the black tomatoes, don't think I'll be touching them!

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Actually, you got it exactly backwards. Those fancy nice looking red tomatoes are relatively new to gardens. Pure strains (heirlooms) are all rather ugly & prone to many diseases. Many experiments have taken place to get the hybrids we know today, that are pretty & resistant to those diseases. As for messing with genetics, farmers have been doing that very same thing for millenniums. It's called "selective harvesting". Unless you are into growing heirlooms, all the food you eat today are results of some form of genetic tampering, whether done in the lab or in the field. Almost everything we plant are hybrids of 2 or more varieties. It's the only way to get the results we demand, like taste, color, texture, ship-ability and such.