Pine tree cutting and removal

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Aug 22, 2008.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Had several fair size pines cut down and removed. All had to be climbed, limbs cut, let down by ropes, tree cut up in short blocks and dropped. All had to be hand carried up our steep hill to a front end loader and trailers. It was a full 10 hour day for 5 men.

The young man that did all the climbing is the owner and I will say he's a pro at his job. I once climbed telephone poles. That was easy to what this guy does. I have much respect for the guys job.
    BTW.. I'm 15 ft from the ground when I took the pictures.
    If anyone is interested there is more action pics here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    when i was a kid, you couldn't find a tree too tall for me to climb.....now that i am old, i get nervous climbing a ladder to the roof:crazy:

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    we just dropped two in the past couple days. one was 70' er. not a pine though.

we use ropes and pull them. im not a monkey. :smile2: more like a gorrilla. i like to keep my feet on the ground.:wink:

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Thats the way I do it, I cut the limbs off, then cut the trunk on the way down. its easier than cutting the tree down then cutting the limbs off.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Normally they remove the limbs and then fall the complete trunk. All the companies that bid on the job felt that wouldn't be practical with our trees.

Sure pays to get bids, of the four bids I got, one was 230% higher and two were 160% higher. :crazy:

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Just curious why did you have them removed???? BTW that's a nice deck, bet you have a nice view!!!

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thats a hard job, and to hand carry is even harder

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Wow, Dayton, did they say how high they were? The tree man here cut one that was a little over 125'. He said that was how long his rope was, and if it had been a few more feet, he would have given up on it. There have been 27 trees cut here by him. We call him 'squirrel', because he can shimmy up and down a tree so good. He has a business card that calls them the 'A' Team. :smile2: Thanks for sharing, the pictures.

Love and hugs to you and Betty,
    Cheryl

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    No Cheryl, they didn't say. I'd guess 70' or 80'.
    127', now that is a wow!

I have another picture that shows him swinging from one tree to another. They are about 3' apart at the height he was. He had to trim both trees but climbed only one.

Different from pole climbing, tree climbers let them self down with a rope... much faster and easier than climbing down.
    Yes, the hand carry is tough. The largest butts were about 3' so a short block is mighty heavy. Especially going up a hill. That's not counting all the limbs. When those guys finished I couldn't tell they had been here except for missing those old pines.

Thanks, we enjoy the view.
    Mainly cause we got scared of them being so close to the house. Two of them were within 10 ft of the house and right by our bedroom. The last few years we have seen what a large pine can do to a house in a high wind. Also one about 80' from the house was struck by lighting couple years ago. It killed all the scrubs around it. Recently a large oak was hit with lighting near our farm.. It completely destroyed the tree.
    Another reason, PINE NEEDLES! I've seen our deck 2 feet deep in them. And some fall all year.

The builder suggested to get rid of all messy pine when we had the lot cleared but being from west Texas we were not about to remove ANY tree that we didn't have to. So we had only enough removed for the house and road. Took 14 years to understand what he was telling us. :sad2: :smile2:

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've cut quite a dab of timber but always from the ground. I hunt from a tree but actually prefer to be on the ground if at all possible.

11. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    good pics :big_smile: i was a trimmer for 7 years. done alot of "stupid" stuff in them trees that the job called for. highest i ever was is 70 feet. that time i was takin out the top 25 foot after i skinned it on the way up. i roped the top to come back to the trunk so it would miss the house on one side and lines on another. when it hit the trunk had a 3 foot sway and w/ saw in one hand and the other on the tail of my climbline all i could do was yell yeeeee haaaaawww and ride the dang thing. it was fun i tell ya !! jumpin tree to tree w/ homeowners watchin is great and so is just jumpin out of the tree !! :smile2::smile2: the looks on their faces are PRICELESS !! did line clearance for Wrights clearin power lines. nothin like storm work. cuttin in the rain by flashlights w/ limbs on lines and the current goin through yer gaffs every so often. no need for coffee or mt. dew, you'll stay awake !! :smile2::smile2:

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    HELL with that lol. i like daylight hrs and no wind, lol. did cut the one in a sprinkle yesterday. and almost said heck with it. but it was a brief shower.:smile2:

13. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`m with you there , my limit is 15-20 feet for deer hunting.

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Jason.
    The guy that did our trees was also named Jason... he goes by Jaybird. :smile2:

While I was in pole climbing school I saw a guy freeze on top of a 45' pole. The instructor finally went up and helped him down. Once saw a guy "burn" a pole. Messed him up pretty bad.

In my books, tree climbers earn ever dollar they make.
    I failed to mention.. before they finish we were having some pretty close lighting... I was surprised they didn't stop work.

Here's another picture of him jumping from a tree that he's just trimmed. He's much higher from the ground than it looks.

15. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Great pics Dayton thanks so much... He is like a squirrel up there on that tree transferring from limb to limb! I couldn't do it, I know I couldn't!

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    round here the pole guys say they would rather be in a tree. when ya slip on a pole ya slide farther than in a tree cuz it aint as rough. plus when ya do get burnt that creasote dont help none in the skin. i had to climb a pole or 2 just up to the cable line to take it down and i didnt like it none at all.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i do work on scaffold and man lifts and such. but even then i wont do more than 5 stories. just dont feel good and i cant seem to get used to it. i walked off a 12 story a year ago. meaning i quit lol. not walked off the building.:smile2:

18. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    All this talk makes me miss working Derricks on the rig.

19. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for some neat pics. I've cut lots of timber in my day but always want my feet on the ground. I like the Terra fir-ma.......the more fir-ma the less terror!