Pinchot Lake in Lewisbury

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Katfish-hunter, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Katfish-hunter

Katfish-hunter New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Has anyone ever fished this lake? Are there catfish in it? We are planning on camping at Gifford Pinchot state park where the lake is located. Just wondering what kind of fishing to expect.

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    dude, there is a crapload of big 20lb carp there. You just have to pre-bait the area before you fish it.

3. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    There are BIG catfish in Pinchot. There are bullheads, channels and blues in Pinchot. The fish in my avatar picture was caught at Pinchot last summer (33 inches, 20 lbs). This year the bite has been mostly bullheads up to 18 inches and channel cats up to 20 inches. No big ones yet but I keep trying.

Pieces of raw shrimp have been by far my best bait this year for Pinchot. The hot spot is off of the dam, near the floating buoys. The other good area is at the main boat ramp down the hill from the park office but that area has been much slower fishing than the dam. The bite seems best between dark and 1 am. After 1 am, it drops off to next to nothing.

(I manage the tackle shop across the street from the park office).

4. SanteeCooperKat

SanteeCooperKat New Member

State:
    PA/SC
    I know this is an old thread but it is extremely relevant to me concidering I live really,really,really,really close to there. Blue Cats in Gifford Pinchot lake? Is there anyway to hook into these buggers around February-April? What would be the best bait to catch a blue? I've fished there numerous times just using livers and Nightcrawlers...... only caught Pumpkinseed and Bluegill. That was from the Conewago day use area.

What would be a good bait for the channels and Bullheads and where do those bite in large quanities? Where is a place that I would have the best chance of catching a Bluecat in? I would love to target some nice 3-8 pound blues in a Northern Lake :big_smile: !

To me a good day of catting is 8 hours and 2-3 half pound fish. Any thing above that is amazing.

Best Regards,

SanteeCooperKat

5. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I see that you probably Know much more about the fishing in that lake than I do but I beleive your mistaken about blue cats in pinchot.Sometimes channel cats have a blueish hue to them.It can be difficult to tell them apart.The best way is to look at the anal fin.A blues comes to a sharp point before tapering back to its tail.a channels is rounded.Also a blue has more rays in its anal fin than a channel.A channel cat has 24-29 rays.A blue cat has 30 or more rays.Ive catfished down there several times when the river was flooded didnt do to well some bull heads was all I caught?I know an old man who put me on some nice hybrid stripers at night down there.

6. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    You are right, I was mistaken about Blues being in Pinchot. The larger channels there do have a blue tint to them so I assumed they were Blues. But the are just big old channel cats.

I no longer work at the tackle shop but I still get down there to fish at Pinchot. I haven't fished for cats this early in the year there. I usually don't catfish in Pinchot much before June.

The two areas I mentioned in my post above are my best areas for cats, both channels and bullheads. The Conewago Day Use area is a shallower area and I haven't tried it for cats.

My best baits are raw shrimp and raw bacon. I have tried nightcrawlers but don't get much besides panfish on them. If you go to the boat ramp below the park office a half hour before dark in the summer time, you can catch a lot of small 2 to 4 inch gills along the wall at the boat ramp. I keep 8 or 10 in the 2 to 4 inch range and toss them in a bucket. Then I use them after dark for bait. Only thing I have caught on live gills have been bullheads up to 17 inches. Even the little 12 inch bullheads will take a small live gill.

7. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hey Tim I know what you mean about the blue cat's. 8 or 9 year's ago I though I cought a blue cat at the Nock. I found out a few month later there were no blue's in there. The warden told me it was a older Channel and some of them get that coler at that time of the year (Aug.) It was the bigest cat I ever cought. I'm guessing it was atleast 38 to 40" with a head the size of a basketball, it was only a guess but I though it went about 30lb's. I cought it on a live Bluegill on a slip bobber set at about 9' near the 3 mile run boat ramp. I cought many good size cat's on that rig, but that was the biggest, plus quite a few Muskie's as well.

Tim what happend at work? If I'm not being to nosey.

8. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    Hey Jim, good to hear from ya!

I left HawgHead back in November. There are two owners. One is a detective in Baltimore and a total class act, top notch guy. The other owner is a total butthole and after 3 years, I had enough of him so I quit, a decision I do not regret. I'm still looking for work and am going to get back into Accounting.