Pinball machines

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I love to play pinball machines. Have been since I was a teenager. I never got into all the new computer games after the commodores and old atari games. That's about the time my son grew out of them, although he plays all the latest ones today. LOL.

My love of pinball has never ceased. I found one yesterday in a restaurant that claims to be the oldest rest. in town. (founded in 1945) This one was one I had never seen before, so it hypnotized me into playing it while waiting for my burger and fries. I forget the name but it had 2 handles on top of the machine as well as the regular buttons for flippers. You could play it either way. The cook came out and said, "You're good, now replace some of those mens names on that machine." I laughed and told her maybe another day. I came close to beating it but did match it, so I played 3 games for 50 cents! Now that's cheap entertainment and a stress reliever. Now I know where to go when I need to let off steam. LOL.

How many of you have the love of pinball?

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hmmm....not sure I should answer. LOL An age thing. LOL I used to play anytime I could. The machines I used to play were a dime a game and you got 5 balls. You could really get them games a rockin too. We used to go to the local golf course(long since sold for subdivisions) and they had a game room. They had about 15 pinball machines. These days it costs 25 or 50 cents for 3 balls and the extra ball scores for me are nearly unreachable for me. LOL I haven't played that in years.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    :) Yes, I guess we are telling our age, but hey we had fun with those machines! I remember the 5 ball ones and playing for a dime. There were also some nickel machines that I never quite got into. I believe they were gambling machines more than pinball.

I never got into rocking them, as most of the guys did, but managed to beat them just the same, most of the time. If I play one enough thru out various days, I will eventually beat it. But like I said, it's a great stress reliever for me.

Have thought about buying a used one from time to time. I may do that one day.

Thanks for replying to my nostalgic post.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey, I'm kinda a youngin, only 29, and I love pinball games

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm old enought to remember the good times. LOL.
    Now can't even buy a gum ball for .25 pinball machines was fun in my day. Now my wife plays one on puter. It has a tilt effect on it also. I mess with her when she is playing. I will lean the puter to one side and yell, tilt. LMAO.

Anyone under 25 years old ever play a real pin ball machine. LOL. :D

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    You guys are makeing me feel real old :) I remember playing when it was a nickle for 5 balls

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I grew up with a pinball machine in the basement. It was themed the best I can remember the Rockettes or something similar.
    It was an old machine that when you opened up the change door and looked in there was miles of wires, switches, bulbs, and tubes.
    Nothing was digital on this thing. the score was ran up by numbers on dials.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My favorite pinball game ever was the Space Shuttle one.

I used to play that one for HOURS

9. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I played alot of them as a kid and my favorite was the Red Baron. I would love to have an original Red Baron sitting in my basement. Abu

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I wish I could still remember my favorite pin ball machine. I can still remember like dafin, when it was a nickle for 5 balls. Dang, time flies.

I do remember a deaf , dumb and blind kid sure could play a mean pin ball. He was a Pin
    Ball wizard.LOL.

11. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    pin ball is awesome! I had a lot of fun times with friends at the arcade growing up!

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man pinball is awesome, I still play every chance I get but there used to be a arcade down the road from my house and I use to play it for like a hour or more every day! Now every time I can I play one. Unfortuantly they closed the arcade though :sad: Ya'll make me want to play one right now...LOL :D

13. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

My Grandmother still has the one in her basement that all of us kids played when we were little. Last I checked the darn thing still works!!!

Ray

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dafin,

Don't feel alone... In my pinball days I had never heard of one that was more than a nickel. The same price as the juke box. Now everyone knows how old we are... :eek:

15. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Man now thats a game pinball wow I do love to play pinball it has to be my favorite. Adams Family pinball has taken many a quarter from me.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I've played the adams family pinball machine that is a good one man! Also there's a simpsons machine thats pretty good.....I guess really all pinball machines are awesome. :)

17. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I remember the old Bally machines 5 balls for a nickle....could gamble on them....spent a lot of money on them lol but I managed to win more than I spent...Felt good to have pocket money in school.

18. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Oh yeah!!! Those old machines were the best. The sound of the ball racing around the ply-wood deck, the bells ringing and the number dials clicking away. And the best sound of all... the solid wooden "tha whack" when the score hit that wonderful free game number. First time I heard that, I about messed my pants. I thought I broke something!!!.

Of course, there was the occasional agony of defeat when a little too much hip twist shut down the works and displayed that nasty flashing tilt... tilt... tilt. A couple swigs of Pepsi and then the sound of another nickle sliding into the coinbox and the machine resetting for another round.

Oh yeah!!! Those old machines were better than best. They were the greatest. And the next best thing... the old bowling machines that had the wooden ball. :crying:

Mike

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Mike, I had completely forgot about the THUNK when you got a free ball but I remember the tilt real good.
    That THUNK was loud. sounded like somebody inside with a hammer.

I wonder how many bells that sucker had in it.

20. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Oh how I know! I can hear it now,Swampy come play the next ball "Woman please can't you see I'm trying to drink a beer over here?" LOL