Pimpin the first ride LOL

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Oct 21, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    my son turned 16 this past summer and bought a old ford fixup truck:lol:

300 dollars well spent .
    hes been sanding and doing some wrenching these past 2 weeks removeing trim, bumpers ,running boards ,old window film ,old exterior lighting,
    interior door panels to change out and replaced the door locks.
    he's so proud of this truck because he has paid for it through his own money he has been saveing doing lawn work and odd and end jobs for 3 years .

ive bought him a new battery and some ignition parts, and some sandpaper
    and primer paint . hes got a long way to go ,but hes prepared to see it to the finish. the neighbor man has let us put it in his garage to work on out of the weather :cool2: and he will paint it for him when we get it ready for it.
    jarrods buddy just got a custom s-10 with airbag suspension system a
    corvette type forward tilt hood and bed cover.his parents paid 10 grand for it , i was proud to here him tell me that its a cool truck but he likes his better cause he paid for it himself and it will look good when he gets done with it...:smile2:
    i cant ask for anything more than that.
    sorry to sound like im braggin , but i is a proud pop tonite:tounge_out:

Attached Files:

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    heres one more shot from tonite . hes got the world series on the radio
    and still out there now sanding.

Attached Files:

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Sounds like you have a good reason to be bragging. Sure don't see many kids working for anything these days. He looks pretty proud of it. Keep us updated on the project, sure would like to se the finished project.

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Brag all ya want. That is too cool. Nice truck. Proud Son and Dad. Old school style. Life is good. Memories and Fun will be coming round the corner.

I'm proud for both of ya.:cool2:

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    thanks guys !!!! i will definenantly be takeing more picks as the project progresses.

we got to get a brake booster and a couple linkages for the door lock mechanism from a junkyard.
    while we are getting those i want to try and find him another back bumper
    and tailgate.
    i dont think buying some parts for him will spoil him as he has been heklping me remove an overgrown fence line at my pops place and besides im sure this truck will be getting the boat to the ramp when its all ready to roll:cool2: .

6. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I know how you feel my 13 YO just bought her a car that me and her are restoring its an old 72 Mavrick to hear her talk about it you would think it was a new Caddy.She is paying for it and most of the parts.It does make you proud of them .Tell your son that it will be the sharpest rig in town Good luck with the restore

7. catfishing fun

catfishing fun New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ford is a good name and fun to fix up have fun fixing it up:smile2:

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :cool2: Looks like a fun project.Gonna look good when finished. You know for that Model Truck you can probably get a lot of parts through J.C. Whitney out of Chicago,Il. They are pretty reasonable on parts. I'm sure that he's gonna have fun and skinned knuckles during this ordeal. keep us posted and you have every right to be proud of him.

9. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    that is good to see him putting so much effort into it he will respect it more if he does the work i know i did

10. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    That does an old mans heart good to hear there are still a few young men that relize a little blood swear and tears makes the best ride I am more chevy man but if I can help with advice just hollar done a few fixerups in my time

11. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    With all the work you and he are putting in it he will be proud to cruise in it! You also have to be proud of your son! He is putting out alot of work. Glad to see you both are having fun with such a big prodject.
    Bill

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    today i had to do a side job and when i got done my brotherinlaw and i went to his brothers shed and dug out a couple 2barrel motorcraft carbs
    the old ford now starts ands runs a lot better
    he had the whole hood nice and smoth by the time i got home .
    there was a large firebird emblem on the hood and it had wrinkled and
    was under clearcoat he is learning to feather out the edges on the
    spot were the paint and bare metal meets pretty good.
    heres a shot of the truck shortly after he got it home.
    he had started sanding on it a little but hadnt removed any trim yet.
    bondo and a little welding should happen this week.

Attached Files:

13. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on the truck..going to look great

14. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

I agree!

You get these kids that their parents buy them these fancy cars, they don't care what happens to them because they know their parents pay to fix it.

You take a kid that does most of the work him self, he will have more pride in his vehicle and want to take care of it.

When I was a teen, I bought me a 71 Pontiac Lemans Sport Coupe.
    I think I only paid $600 for it and it needed some work, but it did run and drive fine, just looked rough.
    I didn't really have the money to fix it up nice, but I bought some nice rims and tires and a great stereo system. I always kept it washed and waxed and I was pretty proud of it.
    It wasn't the nicest car around, but it was paid for and I did all the work on it?

I still have the car, but it's been setting out in the woods for 20 some years, but I want to get it and rebuild it and drive it again one of these days.

Ken

15. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    DRC- proud of the son, and you have the right to be. Better to be working on something he can be proud of, instead of out here getting into mischief and trouble! At least he is doing something creative and something he can look back on later in life!!! Way to go! Tell Jerad to keep up the good work!

16. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thats a great project.Sounds like someone has raised a good kid,and knows how to earn what they want in life.Very valuable life lessons.That he will realize when hes older.Cant wait to see the finished project.

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    You have a right to be the proud papa. And he has a right to be very proud of that truck and all the hard work he is putting into it. I did the same thing with my first truck. I paid fr it, I fixed it, I primed it. That was the best one I ever had because it meant the most to me from all the hours I spent working on it.

Good luck to you and your son with his new project.

18. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    A suggestion stay away from bondo weld a patch cause bondo will vibrate out after a little while and start to crack go to a junk yard and get a hood or trunk lid cut out the patch and weld it or braze it will last longer

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    looking good darryl , your raising a good man there , thats alot to be proud of

20. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    That body style ford is one of My favorites, She'll look real nice when you get some new color on Her.

Puff out Yer chest and put a lil spring in Your step. Looks like you've raised a kid thats well on his way to being a Man, not just another adult.

Keep us posted!