Pile of dead channels, North Eagle Creek

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by typer181, Aug 7, 2008.

1. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Hey Bro's,

Thought I'd post something about this because it bothered me. I was walking my dogs yesterday along the bank of Eagle Creek just north of the Lafayette Road bridge when I came across a pile of freshly cleaned channel cats. I don't have a problem with cleaning fish and leaving a pile for scavengers, but I do question how someone could catch at least 100 cats in a night in that stretch of the reservoir without the use of a net, which is illegal. I have never seen so many catfish in one pile in my life!

Just wanted to post this so you guys can keep your eyes open if you happen to be fishing up that way. IMO, we have to defend our fishing grounds.

2. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Hey Eric, Did you by chance report your find
    to DNR?

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I havent been up that way all year.. But it still ticks me off to hear it.. I would do as Larry said. Contact DNR and let them know. Cause if there was as many fish as you say, they will surely be back for more..

4. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Yea, you guys are right, I'll let the DNR know about it.

5. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    You can bet that they will be back! I fish Eagle Creek a lot and I'm extremely pi$$ed about hearing this. Eric,if you can be spicific
    about where you saw them I'll be glad to go and
    get pictures and take them downtown to the DNR
    myself. I was just there today and I know who to talk to. You can PM if you want or you can
    call me,You've got my number.

6. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The thing I really question about that location is the limit. I know in a reservoir you are only allowed 10 cats. In the stream you can have as many as you want that are over 10 inches. So if that area goes as reservoir then they were over their limit unless there were at least 10 people fishing. I hope DNR does get involved. I do a lot of fishing in that area and this year I have not had my usual luck. Fishing has been way off. If people are taking that kind of fish on a weekly basis that explains why fishing has gone way down.

7. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I've had the same problem catching cats at
    Eagle Creek this year. It's been kind of weird
    in my opinion. I also doubt that ten people
    sat there and had that kind of luck and that they all cleaned their catch there. Not too
    likely.
    Another thing, I recently talked to another fisherman out there a couple of months ago and
    he told me he felt that the fishing was bad
    there because he knows that people go there at night and cast nets.I was remiss for not asking
    him how he knew this. But now I really smell
    a RAT! I'm definately going to talk to the park
    rangers and conservation officers out there and
    see if I can get their attention on this matter.

8. shadgutter

shadgutter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i know who did it, but if i tell i will get kicked off the website again! can't tell the full truth on this website, u will get kicked off, formally shadgut!:cool2:

9. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Damm! How big were they on average??

10. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    So were the fish netted or what?

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sorry to hear of your find eric. that kind of crap needs to stop, but the dnr dont seem to care. they dont want to step on the commercial toes(i was told that). they know these guys with commercial licenses go other places than allowed to get their catch, but dont care. its bull spit the way cats are perceived in this state! im sure the fish mongers lurk on here to locate new waters with big fish to exploit too,so watch what you post all. i met a guy from down south at a ramp all the way here who was asking about new waters to net. we were the only ones at the ramp at 3am, so i told him what he would get if i caught him on my waters! i am still waiting to run into that idiot and his friends. god how i would love to get my hands on a few of those fool!:angry:

sorry guy but this subject gets me going!!!!!

good luck with the dnr eric, bro.!

12. typer181

State:
    Indy
    I made a full report with the DNR. I'll let you all know if I see any reaction from the agency in regards to sending officers to the area, it's across the street from my house.

This really burned me up, like you guys have said it has been hard to find the fish this year in Eagle Creek and with this stuff going on it is easy to see why. I just worry that this was not the first time this happened.:angry:

Whoever did this better never let me catch 'em doin it, it won't be a good day for them. There are lots of eyes this way, including my brother who is a Marion County Sheriff and a devoted catfisherman. Net at your own risk...:wink:

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If they were bass, the dnr would be all over it, since it's catfish I doubt they care.

14. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    every spring my grandpa and his church go down to a lake and sEt trotlines for a week and put the catfish in a cage and then the other people from his church come and we have a big fish fry and fry(and of course therres a ton of skins) all the fish at once. Could that have happend? If not i hope they get caught!

15. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Just wanted to let you all know that I did receive a call from the local conservation officer today about the report I made. He assured me that he would step up his patrols in that area. It was nice that he took the time to give me a call, he even told me he lived nearby and gave me his number if I noticed any other problems.

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    wow, that is cool! keep us posted Eric n good luck.

17. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yep,i hope they get them if they are doing something illegal.

as for the guy who says he knows who did it,or is doing it,if it is illegal,i sure hope you turn them in to the dow.

18. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    I wonder what kind of net they would have used, a gill net? I don't think a hoop would work to well with out current. Maybe the shocked them (telephone crank)