Pike on Bait

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by Water Wolf, May 2, 2008.

1. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Most of the Pike I've caught came on lures such as Rapalas, homemade sinners, or spoons. However last spring I caught several hammer handles (small pike) on dead Sardines on a hook with a bobber. I'm not talking mushy canned Sardines I'm talkin' whole frozen Sardines from Sportsman's Warehouse. Has anyone ever caught any this way? Also, any size to what you have caught this way. I was taught Pike fishing with lure only.

Jim

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Me personally I havent ever done any Pike fishing but I know some people around here that does alot of Pike fishing and all the ones I have heard that they caught has been on shad raps, and stuff like that, sounds interesting may try and give it a try sometime.

3. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like a 6-9 inch sucker fished about 4-5 ft.in the afternoon.
    smokey

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the only pike i ever caught were on cutthroat and rainbow trout that i was reeling in. about 10 feet off the bank they would smash the trout, and more often than not, get away. the few i caught were huge to me, but my uncle said they were little.

5. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    sweet mother of pearl :crazy: that wasn't in Texas right?
    ummm the more i think about it deres probly no rainbow in Texas. If i'm wrong i apologize but...

i have never fished for pike on bait only muskellunge because the boat captain and his first mate are certifiable. but when we did it was pretty much like smokey says. 4-12 inch suckers

You can be so much more productive chucking artificials. If you know how just adapt to your conditions. only the super tasters with buds on their whiskers and clothes (skin) require the real deal. everything else including the true giants get bamboozeled with angler skill and technique. if you're targetting the giants Water Wolf, and your in a slump i would recommend X-raps in the 13 size. phantom white works superb, the silver sides as well and my biggest came off of a rainbow trout pattern so maybe massa_jorge.
    is onto something. swim it up like a crank bait but switch it up as well, twitch twich pause. most of my strikes came after the initial twitch after a 10 second to 60 second pause. as a matter of fact the rainbow trout pattern outproduces every color in most lakes i go to while the white and rapalas bleeding olive heart dominate in the rivers.

my philosophy is if you are going to sit somewhere for a while your best chance is for the fish that use their smell. if you are targetting toothy critters your best bet is to move around.

regards,
    m.a.d.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey mauricio, only in the wintertime do we have rainbows in texas. the pike were in wyoming, above the towns of green river and rocksprings. i can't remember the name of the river, but the trout fishing was awesome.

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I caught hundreds when I lived in alaska. The biggest being 20 lbs. Never tried any live or frozen bait. My weapon of choice was always a big broken back rapala in the shallows. Caught probably a dozen each night. It was light all night so I used to fish a few times a week from 10 pm to 4 am then rush home to get to work at 7...:big_smile:

8. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks for all your help on this topic. There is a high mountain lake that is known for having great pike fishing and I can't wait. It's still ice covered though. Last time I was up there was for an ice tourney and it was -13 at 5:30am in January. Thank god for good long underwear and an insulated carhart bib and overalls.

Can you dig it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Like the others who have responded here, most of my pike have been caught on artificials. The good old red-and-white spoon is one of my favorites, along with jigs with pork rind, spinners, etc.

I caught my PB pike (15 lbs) on a minnow with a spinner that was rigged for trolling for walleyes. We stopped for a minute and I cast up alongside a dead tree that had fallen into the water. That was a fun catch on light spinning tackle!

My take on pike is that they are aggressive and will hit on just about anything.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I guess I just always love the top water fishing in the shallows the best cause I love seeing that wake headed for your bait and BAM!!!!! Nothing more fun to me..:big_smile:

11. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I wouldn't mind catchin a pike on my ultra light ugly stik. If i caught a 20 lb pike on that i think i might have a heart attack. But man think of the fight that thing would put. Im gonna try it this summer on yuba.

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I always did good with live suckers and yellow perch fished under a float. Quite a few folks fish dead suckers through the ice. So, I would bet early spring they would hit dead bait.

13. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    absolutely !

nothing beats walking the dog for a hawg.

i was wading not too long ago in the river walking a sammy and i saw the wake. i was close to chest deep and the sucker followed all the way and just swam past me. i could have probably tried to grab him cause it was super close but i'll have to admit it scared me a little that freshwater barracuda. man if a fish with teeth like that has no fear and just swims right past you what's to stop him from slashing you? even though i did not get hit that time a follow from topwater is just as thrilling as getting hit. top of the food chain in these parts. there are 2 types of pike fishermen. those that have been slashed and those about to get slashed :0a20:
    regards,
    m.a.d.

14. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i found a new place to go fishing... they have northern pike walleye and muskie... i might pick up a daredevl spoon

15. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I've caught more Pike on live bait than on artificials. Any bait fish 6 to 8 inches long, large frogs and mud puppies fished along the edges of weed beds or around logs will get bit if there are pike around. Fish about 3 foot under a bobber or freelined if the water is shallow

16. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    when i lived in northern mn i used a hammered spoon and caught
    some nice ones

17. If you fish artificials you should generally catch more pike.
    That may be because you cover more water with plastic & metal lures.

A fish bait is suitable for slower more careful presentation.
    You will see a big difference in the average size of the pike you catch.

But during periods when the pike are not fully responsive your catch rate with deadbait should beat artificials 20 to 1.
    The obvious time is just before lakes freeze in fall. Also just after ice out.

The good days will work best with a slowly intermittent retrieved minnow/shad of 4" - 6".
    The less good days you will still catch on the same bait but fished below a sliding bobber.
    The tough days try it fished static on the bottom.

Mount them on a wire trace with 2 x #6 trebles. On the take let the pike go about 3-5 feet and strike. Hold the strike until he head shakes and then releases his grip on the fish to eject the bait. After he lets go, that's the time the bait shifts, the hooks move across the jaw and penetrate.
    If you just give a quick strike (like for artificials) then lower the rod to reel in slack, the slack line will coincide with the pike's ejection of the bait and you will miss out on some.

18. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    In winter and early spring I catch most of my pike on either dead baits like smelt or live baits like suckers. I like to fish shallow during these times with the baits because the fish are roaming the shallows looking for easy meals.

When the water hits the mid 40s in spring and begins the rapid rise in temperature is when you start throwing baits, first in shallow moving deeper and deeper as long as the water temp rises. By mid to late summer fast trolling in deeper water is the way to get em.

So bottom line is there are many ways to catch a nice pike all year long.