Pike Lake, Warsaw, Indiana

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by thenightstalker, Aug 24, 2006.

1. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    pike lake in warsaw indiana has a great population of channel cats. i learned from the dnr that during gill net placememt, that over 200 channels were caught. ranging from 20 to 35 inches. i know that 35 inches isnt real big, but i have seen BIGGER ones pulled from the lake. i live here in warsaw and i was wondering if anyone else fishes the lake for cats. let me know how you are doing at the lake.

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Zach!

I was thinking about heading over to Pike this weekend with my little boy. Being Labor Day weekend, will Pike be packed or will most of the boating activity be focused on Winona?

3. tbischof

tbischof New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Was wondering if you could give me any information on the Cat population in Winona Lake there in Warsaw?

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tim,

The DNR nets a few whenever it does a survey there. Don't see the numbers like at Pike, but they do get a few decent sized channels

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Zach, I answered my own question! Pike has a 10mph speed limit. Should make for a nice evening - I'm going to try to get over there tomorrow afternoon.

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I made it over to Pike Sunday night but didn't do any good. I took my 3 year old so I couldn't stay long. But, I got him out in the boat for the first time & he really liked it.

Zach, where do you usually catch them over there? After I got out there it dawned on me that, I really don't know how/where to fish for cats in a lake...I always fish rivers!!!

7. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    My bro and I fished Pike a couple weekends ago and got one medium sized channel cat. The whitebass went nuts once the wind picked up and put a chop on the water. We were throwing white spinnerbaits. Lots of shad in that lake. Caught nine total, most were around fifteen inches. The only other time I've fished there, I caught a 35 inch channel cat. That was two summers ago, and it was the only fish I caught that night. What a fish that was! It was the biggest we'd seen to that time. Looked ancient.

8. thenightstalker

State:
    indiana
    alright, this is how its done. start with a normal cat rig...sinker, bead, swivel, leader, ect... but on for the leader, use one 3 feet long. about 2 ft before the hook, use a 5 to 6 inch long pike float unweighted. then take a live or cut bluegill and very very slow troll or drift with it. between the 2 lakes at the old dam is good. the outlet of deeds creek is good too. fish that outlet in about 8-15 ft of water. ive been very busy lately. wish i would have seen that u were going. i would have met u there. for anyone that would like to fish call me 574-551-9405 winona is okay. seen some very nice cats out of there. the outlet channel during the spawn is preety hot. cast right up against the seawall and let her sit. use suckers. those cats are under the walls there. also, when it gets really cold here soon...mid oct-freeze up, i see alot of cats in the shallows. i walleye fish during that time. its so cold i just have to keep movin. cast cast cast. but anyone can get ahold of me. info or fishing buddies...just call me

9. thenightstalker

State:
    indiana
    i dont know how i forgot, but i did. in order to keep the pike float in place on your leader, use a small split shot on each end of the bobber. and for more bait to use at pike lake other than gills, i use a cast net and catch shad. some are decent sized...8-10 in but most or 3-6. a good cut right up the belly to let the guts hang out really puts out a great attracting scent. those fish are real oily.