Pike Island Dam Report

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by neocats, Jul 13, 2008.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    If you can actually call it a report. Not one with many fish involved. I took a couple of friends down to Pike Island Dam and fished the gravel bar Staurday night till about 3am. I was stumped. We were using live bluegill with no bite. I decided to use one cut and caught a samll 8 1/2 pound Flathead on a gut pocket. One guy missed a couple of hits, but other than that, it was dead.

2. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah, it has been pretty dead for a couple of weeks up there now. I have only manage to catch a handful with the biggest being around 3lbs. Hopefully in another week or two, things should really start to pick back up. Since the catfish aint biting, i have been going bass fishing and got a pb about 3 weeks ago. a 4+lb largemouth on a chatter bait.

3. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    How was the current? The last time I was down there a couple of weeks ago, I was fishing from the gravel bar also and the current was really strong. They had the #6 lock wide open. There was one heck of an eddy current and I couldn't get a 5oz sinker to settle on the bottom until it went back upstream. My sister in law caught two small cats. I had one good run and it got caught up in the rocks :angry:.

4. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 Member

State:
    Ohio
    current was pretty strong the last time i was there. Was using 4oz worth of sinkers to keep it on bottom

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I fished with a couple of friends Saturday night with only one small Flathead being caught. Conditions seemed good, they just weren't biting. The 8 1/2# Flathead was caugh on cut bluegill.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    well where I usually fish 81/2 pounds ain't that small!!:smile2:. Sorry that you all didn't catch more fish, I know that feeling well.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think with all the high water we have had has pushed the spawn back, those fis aint gonna spawn when the rivers are that high, and wait till the water settles down...I think the spawn is just hitting full bore in most places and it is gonna be a few weeks...some years when high water persisit thru the spawing season they dont evn spawn at all, and the females just reasorb the eggs..A couple years ago I was catching flats full of eggs, and beat up with scars in october.

8. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    i havent been able to fish the pike the last few weeks,thanks for the report.

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Tooo early yet Neo....was it not around the 22-24th last yr and normal level when u n your inlaw did it???

I've been down there 4 times now and only have gotten dinks, rrrrr!!!!

I want to check out "Old L&D #11" just downstream from the dam and see if there is structure left and if it can be fished from shore.

http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/nav/nav.htm

OR someone can PM me on it plz plz??

:embarassed: