Pike Island Dam report from 9/12

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by rockbass, Sep 13, 2009.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fished Pike Island Dam last night for several hours. We didn't do well in the number for catfish but did get 3. We also caught 5 gar....which included one larger than I have ever seen before. Normally I get ticked when I get the gar bites, but the size of the one I caught made me excited and wanting more :crazy:

Baits of the night were live goldfish and cut goldfish, gills, and chubs. We had hits on the heads and the body sections. For whatever reason that place is usually better using the heads of any fish you throw than live baits for channel and flatties.
    Might make a combo white bass fishing/ cattin trip next weekend too. The White bass and Sauger you catch there are very good baits to use. I never would have guessed that until I fished there with Jeff.....NEOCATS. All it took was me going in the water to help land a 25 lb flattie to see that a sauger head was just as good as any baits I would have thought of :smile2:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    were you fishing the peir or further down river?

3. O_W_E_N_S

O_W_E_N_S New Member

State:
    Toronto,Ohio
    I guess that's where all the gar went to...where I fish they were everywhere about 2 weeks ago. Now I haven't seen a 1 around, sure is nice. No more gar runs.

4. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was fishing the rock bar below the pier. I always fish down there. It always amazes me the fish people fishing the pier throw below on the bank. I can see them tossing the gar/drum, but the striped bass laying there are unreal. I'd love to catch some of those that had to be hitting 8-9 lbs

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, I'm totally with you. I always get ticked about the gar bite, but after I got that monster in, I want to catch another that size. Only I want to have a tape and scale with me to see how big it was.

:wink:

6. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    Thanks for the very informative post..........i was thinking about heading down that way this weekend too .............might run into you there !!!

7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    glad to hear a decent report from gar island. you say bad but ive been there twice and its a lot better than we did. the gar wouldnt leave alone long enough to interest a flat of any size. Hope you didnt let the gar live...forget about cpr with those things...