Pike Island and Old Lock 9 on the Ohio River with Netmanjack and Baitkiller.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Netmanjack, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well Baitkiller lived up to his name, but I didn't. Steve killed a lot of bait, but I only netted one flat for him. We started out at Pike fishing around one AM Wednesday morning. Only small flats biting there. They were really banging the shad and all the way up to daylight, but no size. Went on up the Ohio to old lock 9 near Empire, several brothers know the location. The flats continued to bite very frequently especially when ever I tried to take a nap! lol Man am I beat. We didn't stop till today at 9 AM. The bite never slowed till after 2 O'Clock yesterday. Then we hit a long dry spell till around 5 this morning when Steve landed his second flat of the trip a 23 pounder biggest of the outing. I however had the best trip for numbers of all time. I landed 9 Flats in a twelve hour period. Four were seven to eight with a twelve and a sixteen thrown in. Believe me by the time I got to the sixteen pound one I thought it was fifty. I'll bet I lost at least ten to rocks and snags. You know Fishing with Baitkiller is one of my favorite things to do, but man some how he makes me work to hard at it. I caught a break this morning depending how you look at it. I just had to fight big logs and retie about forty times. All in all we had a great time as we always do. Steve and I became quick friends through this site as with many others. Wish more of you could have been there to see me suffer from hooking up with so many and Steve suffer from only getting two! lol. even if it was bigger he had to wait longer. Here are the three biggest ones all on whole or cut dead shad.

Attached Files:

2. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    Hey Jack how is it going. I feel sorry that you could not be able to take a nap during the course of your adventure. Sounds like you had fun. Nice fish in the photo's. I don't know if you remeber my son and I, for we fished alongside of you down at Knox Lake road near the tunnel. We hammered a few there a week ago during the rain we had, my boy got his two personal best Channel (9 and 7 lb) CPR'd them both. Take care and maybe see on the bank somewhere.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes Robert, I certainly do! Glad to see you active brother. Thanks for the sympathy... lol:smile2:

4. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    Thinkin of Jr and I going out tonight, haven't decided where yet. The Barometer is falling just a tad and temp will be around 65 tonight. Thinking about Charles Mill (430 bridge or Spillway), probably end up at Knox. Have you fished the Kokosing Lake, if so any Flatties. Caught a nice channel. It appears to be underfished area.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I lost a lot of tackle also in that spot when I fished there. Its worth it though when the big ones get on. Thanks for the report

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well then, so was you! Walter lol what a mess. Every fish you get on you have to get to the top and some how keep it there. My arms are about ready to fall off. I'm I getting old or what? Oh' to fish from a boat in 40' water like you easy going guys in old Kan-tuck. lol

I don't think the flat population is very good in Kokosing, It will be a little while till I see you again probably though. I played around with my 15' surf rod and got bruised up pretty bad fighting cats, that is till I put it back in the truck! lol

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Great outing Jack .... Now if I can be so lucky .... LOL! .... :eek:oooh: Garry-

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for sharing a great trip with us.:big_smile:

9. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    sounds like you had some fun nice fish

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    catching alot of fish as you did is often more fum than just catching one big fish, especially if you fish a long time..I dont think I could handle a trip that long.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like you two had fun meeting up and catching a few!! congrats on the good night out! rollo

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, It was a lot of fun. Don't you like to be bothered in a good way. lol .Thats kinda how I feel with my grand kids. lol I'll be fifty eight this year and I am very stiff now that I am home and relaxed. I don't know how many trips like this one I can handle, and I don't have any thing but getting old and stiff trouble! :crazy::embarassed::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    good job on the catch,sounds like you guys had fun

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Jack did work his butt off to get his fish!! Old #9 requires one to re-rig one heck of alot due to the tons of snags (structure) there. I'm sore too,,,hee he, but due to not doing it near enough...was plannin 4 days instead of what we did.

TY Jack for everything.

:003: "Born to Fish, Forced to work though"

:wink:

15. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Congrats on the fish Baitkiller and Netman! the big boys have been hitting good at the pike on the gill and skipjacks! i was there thursday and saturday and all i had was 2 and 3in shiners and the gar just tore me apart:angry:

16. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    STEVE AND JACK THOSE ARE SOME NICE FISH. STEVE I FIGURED IT OUT ,NEXT TIME YOU WEAR THE LOUD SHIRT AND THE GLOW WILL ATTRACT THE FISH TO YOUR BAIT:smile2:SORRY JACK COULDN'T HELP IT.