Pike fishing trip... info needed!

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by cincycatman, Dec 26, 2006.

1. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Me and some of my friends are planning a pike fishing trip to Canada this year and are looking for some info... we live in Cincinnati and want to keep it under a 12-13 hr drive and are looking for places within Southern Ontario that have RV electrical hookups, boat rentals and obviously good pike fishing... we're also looking to kind of get out in the wilderness a lil bit so not any places in suburbia or metropolitan areas... if anyone has any info or advice it'd be appreciated!!

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Hey fella....

Im in Central Michigan- 7-8 hours north of you. My best suggestion is a trip that is 7 hours north of me- or 14-16 north of you, in a town called "wawa", Ontario.

Wawa is just about the edge of the "unfished zone" in Ontario. It is fished north of there, it is just that the frequency and pressure drop exponentially the further north from there you go. You will do best if you go there or north. You can get places all over up there, from Wawa over to Sudbury, Hawk Junction, or Missinabe. It falls in the range you were hoping to stay in and furthermore, there is CONSIDERABLY less pressure to fish those waters than there is in southern Ontario.

Ive fished there for 20 years.... almost yearly, sometimes twice yearly. I quit 2 years ago when the regulations and border people became too unbearable for me to really enjoy it with the company of 28 men who used to be in the group that I was in.

IF you're just looking to go, go there. If you are willing to forego cnada for GREAT american fishing, more fish to take home, and less "peripheral expenses" in your way, then just stay State-side. Believe me.

IF you want to get adequate fishing and take home a decent amount of fish with little trouble, less governmental involvement, and a chance at some of the better fishin in the USA, then you're better off camping near New Baltimore in Michigan and fishing northern Lake St Clair. There are plenty of walleye, pike, musky, and other fish, plus big cats at night and the occasional Sturgeon.

I have plenty of info to share- let me know what youre looking for n I can help you further.

3. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for the info man, yea 14-15 hrs wouldn't be too bad if it means better fishing and as for customs and keeping fish, were not too worried about that, we're catch and release type guys... However the Lake you mentioned up in Michigan don't sound too bad either, that might be a good weekend getaway sometime... Now are their any places in Wawa that have RV camping and boat rentals that you know of?? We're taking a camper so we need electrical hookups and a boat unless I'm able to get one before we go....

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I am sorry. I dont have that specific info for you. You're likely to find lot by google-ing "Wawa, Ontario visitor Bureau". I used to go to Fox's Den Lodge in Misinabe, but that is an hours drive by boat, after an hour and a half drive down logging trails.... there are no hookups there, only a parking lot, a bar, and a lot of wildlife.

Lake St Clair is gorgeous. It is a big lake connecting Lake Huron to Lake Erie, between the St Mary's River, and the Detroit River. Ya cant miss it on any map.

For me, there is fantastic pike, perch, crappie, walleye, bluegill, and bass and cat fishing over near Cadillac, Michigan on lakes Cadillac and Mitchell. It is a town of around 30,000 (home of Four-Winns boat manufacturing) and has an RV park on the canal between the 2 lakes. (The canal is maybe 250 yards long) You can rent anything from an aluminum where you bring your own motor up to a pontoon, and the rental is 27 per night. You can also fish the clam river for brookies or Lake missaukee for all of the above with a 15 minute drive.

I dont want to dissuade you from the canada trip cause those trips can be really memmorable- God knows I have enough memories to fill a book from doing em with my family.
    My concern is the fact that at the border you will need

*Passports, not just birth certificates (Law as of Jan 17 2006- theres over 200 bucks each for expidited passports)

*You will not be able to take more than 5 gallons of gas with you (And gas is horribly expensive when you pay by the litre),

*You will pay out the wazoo for beer (and only find it at the government beer store,

*You will pay 14.5% tax on everything and have to fill out scads of paperwork at the border to get it back,

*And you cannot drive over 62 miles an hour up there or the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) will nail ya.

*If anyone has a DUI conviction you have to put down cash at the border in advance in case they get popped there,

*And although the locals are friendly... some are very UN friendly and they know how to charge extra for tourists.

I just want you to know what you are getting into for your money. This is why I say come to Michigan, if you want good pike fishing. PLUS, as an added bonus, you have BOC Brothers here like me who will try their best to find the time to join you, or host a shore lunch for you, or take you around and show ya the sights. It would be my pleasure to do this nd to show your friends a good time if I can... it is the least I can offer a fellow :wink: Brother.

Sal

5. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey man that's some really good info, I appreciate it... just so happens my friend that's goin does have a DUI and 14.5% tax is ridiculous, renting a boat we'd likely have to buy gas and we'd go through a ton of beer... we certainly may be looking into just going to Mich, Winsconsin or Minnesota... that was some good info that we certainly overlooked so I'll have to talk it over with my boys and see what they wanna do but man that certainly bumps our budget up quite a bit from what we estimated... thanks bro!!