Pike fishing- Need Help

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by zappaf19, Feb 6, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My sister in law just got a new home with a pond on it. It is stocked with channel cats, blue gill and northern pike. I know they eat live bait, and you need a steel leader. Any other help you can give would be nice on how to catch them.
    Bill

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Timotha pretty much said it.....I would definitely not use steel leader, I think it is a turn off for alot of fish like that. I dont think it is necassary for them.:) You can use spoons and stuff like timotha said, and you can use live bait. I have caught alot of nice ones just on minnows under a bobber.

Good luck:)

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

The phrase "the bigger the bait the bigger the fish" holds true to Pike also. We used 3-5 in live suckers under slip Bobbers at 2-4 feet near weed beds and bull rushes. They loved the live bait. We used kahle hooks and hooked the bait right behind the dorsal fin.

Good luck

Ray

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Pike like to hit anything that moves, live or artificial. They aren't to selective.
    I do recommend that you do use a steel leader. Their teeth will shred anything it comes into contact with, and you dont want to be kicking your self if a big one gets off.

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    We had good success up north using large spoons as mentioned and large spinner baits worked around the weed edges. Make sure your hooks are super sharp. :)

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My little pond boat are going to try. I have read tthey can get up to 4' long. I will take what I have learned here and give it a shot!
    Bill:)

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Try hooking a large creek chub, 6-10 inches, through the meat ahead of the tail, and put on a lip bobber. Throw that out there, and fish w/ a spoon or spinner too. The creek chubs are usually good for at least one nice pike, with the occasional 20lb.+ Flathead catfish!!

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Anything flashy or noisy. They will hit buzz baits, and stick baits. We used to use Carp for bait. Clip the tail and cast out. They are voracious. I am surprised you have anything left in the pond. There is an account of a 40+" pike with a 13lb bass in its stomach. Bigger the bait means bigger the pike. We used braided Nylon for them. Some were shy on wire leaders. I think a good flatty setup baitwise would net a great pike. Here in Kansas they set 200 24" pike in a smaller lake to clean up the carp. They devastated them in short order.