Pigeon River?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by FWFeecherman, Aug 31, 2006.

1. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey BOC folks! Im just wondering if any other BOC members fish for cats on the Pigeon River in Northern Indiana? I catch a lot of really nice channels (2-10lbs) in the spring, but after that I cant seem to find them at all. Just curious if anyone else experiences this or if anyone has any suggestions that have worked for them on this river. I know I am catching them pre spawn and spawn, I just can't figure out what happens to these cats after say July. Tight Lines and Screamin Clickers to Ya!!

2. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    is the river a trib to a larger river? many cats move up the tribs during spring for the spawn. after the spawn, the cats move back into the larger river. let me know. im awful familiar with northern indiana, and never heard much about that river.

3. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey nightstalker. Pigeon River is really "known" for its trout fishing they do in the spring. I usually hit it in the spring to catch the suckers that are spawning then for my cutbait. I gte lots of funny looks from the trout guys. :big_smile: Im not sure if its a trib to anything. I don't think it is, but I've never really researched it. The river is in the town of Mongo which basically is between Kendalville and Sturgis MI. Its a great place to fish because you can get away from the city, its clean water, and usually not very crowded after the opening trout weekend. Its got smallmouth, suckers, largemouth, cats, pike, and carp in it. Not a lot of trophy size fish, but lots of fun.