Pier cabins at Santee Cooper State Park

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ncfish, Aug 25, 2006.

1. ncfish

ncfish New Member

State:
    NC
    Coming to Santee with the family the end of September. We are staying in the pier cabins at the state park. Can you fish off these piers? How is the fishing at these piers? Are there places to rent boats? This is our first trip. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I would think that you may fish off those piers, but I don't know that for a fact, thus I also don't know how the fishing would be there. I would suggest getting a map of the lake and the local area. The lake is surrrounded by the industry of that county, the fishing industry. There are landings everywhere with boats available. Recommend that from the state park, take 95N. Go across the causeway bridge. On the other side take the first exit and go towards Summerton. At the end of the road, turn left and start looking for signs that say Jack's Creek Marina. One mile past Jack's Creek is a sign for Billip's Marina. This is a good place to rent a boat. This gentleman takes care of his equipment and his campground. He will have live bait, get herring and use it for cut bait, keep 'em fresh on ice. Keep 'em drained, if they get in the water they'll get soggy and soft. It's better to buy it fresh everyday than to try and keep it overnight. You should catch some very large blues and flats with that. Have fun! :big_smile: And oh yeah, take BUG JUICE!

3. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I sent you a PM.

Tony

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ncfish i dont know much about the upper lake but i would suggest you consider a guide over the price of renting a boat. you can tear up some equipment on those lakes real fast. you will be dealing with water over the top of a forest in alot of that upper lake. those lakes can go from dead calm to the ocean in a matter of seconds. the fishing at santee can be great. good luck to you.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good advice. I Only know of one place that rents boats but its at Jacks Creek Marina. As for guides I have used one down there for a few years now. He has a hundred pound guarentee are no pay. PM if your interested.

6. ncfish

ncfish New Member

State:
    NC
    Laidback I would be interested in getting the guides name. I tried to send you a PM but I do not have enough post as of yet. Thanks

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I sent you a pm with the info. If you need any more info feel free to ask. If you do rent a boat be careful that lake can get pretty ugly and quickly. Fresh herring is my bait of choice down there, cut. Good luck. There is always the possibility of catching a 50 plus pound fish down there.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Randolphs also rents boats including Toons but I can't swear to how well they are maintained.Heed the warning about the weather and water.I like to say "I have seen the ocean get as bad as Santee" not the other way around.:big_smile: :eek:oooh: :roll_eyes:

9. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    fishing is allowed off piers at park, you never no when a big blue or channel will come that way, your best bet would be to bank fish from the south end of the park, this is a big cove and i have cought many a channel cat off the point at the start of the cove. also in santee at the old 95 bridge is a great place to fish from the sea wall, lots of big flatheads and blues taken their. good luck

10. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    I have stayed at the cabins on the pier and fished before. I took four 1 1/2inch pvc pipes about 2 foot long, put them against the vertical post on the pier, and rapped 2 heavyduty bungee cords around each one. Dont use any screws, the park rangers will get mad! If you get cabin number 1 or 10 on the ends of the pier you will have more room to fish. The cabins in the middle are blocked from pier fishing because of the floating dock in front of them.

11. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    There is no more Billips. It has changed owners I think. They have built cabins looks to be about 50 or sixty.

I was shocked when I drove into the place a month or so ago.

The name of the place now is Kings something or other can't remeber the total name.

12. ncfish

ncfish New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for all the replies. Bobwhelr I am not familar with the park at all the cove you are talking about how would I get there from the pier cabins. Thanks again for all the info.