Piedmont or Saltfork?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Leiter, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a week vacation from work to burn and wanted to take my daughter fishing for some flats. Just not sure which place would be better,or what part of the summer would be better. If anyone has a better place in mind, Please let me know. My dad took me to Piedmont when i was a kid and i had a blast. Any info or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Plz keep in mind I can't get a Flat out of a lake to save my life!! :crazy:

From what I've seen reported here and from what I've seen too, Saltfork has much better structure for the Yellow Cats to spawn in and so thats where I'd be. Most Ohio lakes have little if any decent structure for the Flats to spawn in.

Also keep in mind that they will be spawning very soon and not worth fishing for them than (74-76 degree water temp.).

OPINION

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    From what I have seen on the board and heard I would say Salt Fork. Good luck on the water.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Salt Fork, would be the best bet. Has more bank access for fishing. If the flats are on the spawn, then you can target the channel cats.

5. saltforkcatman

saltforkcatman New Member

State:
    Senecaville,Ohio
    i would also say Salt Fork try fishing up by the ranger station or out by the bridge out on state route 22 we, call it beeham run road both alot of fun if u wanna try sumthin different try a half dozen milk jugs out with a live bluegill or cut bait make sure you have your name and adress on them though but its worth the effort it is a blast trust me! i also agree that the flatties are spawning i can only catch smaller ones latley!! good luck either way you go

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Have you had any luck min those backwaters this year? I've fished it pretty hard and it's been tough! I would fish Salt Fork too, just not neccessarily behind the park office. I would try the next bridge by 22 area.

7. saltforkcatman

saltforkcatman New Member

State:
    Senecaville,Ohio
    yea i caught some by both this year were abouts do u usually fish the ranger station has been slower than normal though

8. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    I like the ranger station although I had zero luck there this year. I like across from the beach along the rocks, I like the cove by the culvert and recently discovered a spot by the beaverdam near the bridge rather than the culvert that i want to spend some time on. In the main lake I want to try the island across from the 541 dock and the area very close to the dam that goes from 30 feet to 4-5 feet to nothing. Things look very fishy there LOL

PM me and I will give you my number.... or you can look for my sponsor area, I believe my website has several phone numbers for me.

www.coshoctoncars.com

9. Sundance

Sundance New Member

State:
    Ohio
    where is this beaver dam?

10. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    The beaver dam is located about 500 yards left of the culvert. This is the first cove toward the main lake from the main marina. As you are looking at the cove you see the culvert surrounded by rock. To the right you will see a big tree with about 30 limbs sticking up. To the left you can just barely see the bridge. To the left of that looks like there might be a stream coming in or it may peter down to nothing, I didn't take the 28 foot toon back to explore. Right on the corner there is an active beaver dam replete with beaver. (not even close to the beach)