Piedmont NC?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bigwhiskers, Dec 16, 2007.

1. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Hey guys, any members in the piedmont NC area doing any good recently? Can't make up my mind whether to go hunting or fishing. Any thoughts?

2. shawn white

shawn white New Member

State:
    nc
    from rutherrordton nc

3. yadkinrivercats

yadkinrivercats Member

State:
    mocksville,n.c.
  4. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jamie, I'm in Winston-Salem. I haven't fished in weeks. I've been in the deer woods. I hunt in Davidson County and our gun season ends on Jan. 1. I'll probably wait 'til then to do some fishing. Welcome to the BOC!

5. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Badin and Tillery and falls Dam have been good for bluecats and stripers.

6. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    :wink:im in high point and i fish oak hollow all the time and i work there in the summer well if ud like to fish this lake just let me or ncfowler know and we coud prob show u some ok places to fish it well till nexgt time good fishing

7. dirtydawg

dirtydawg New Member

State:
    nc
    Snow Camp,NC here big whiskers

8. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I've been catching a few channel cats at York Hill. I don't have a boat so it has been hit or miss. With the warm weather this week, I hope to get down there. I'll post if we catch anything.

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Stripers very good, catfish very bad!

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I caught some of the biggest channel cats I have caught in a while. All were in deeper water near bait schools that were down 25-35 feet. Now that the temps have warmed we will have to see where they are.

11. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm from Cary, NC - it's in Wake county, about 5-10 miles out from Raleigh, depending where you start. Here, we've fished in the Lochmere Lakes, two man-made lakes that are mostly used by the residents of the Lochmere subdivisions. Just last night, we fished from about 4.15 to 6.30 PM with night crawlers, and out of the three of us, only one mud cat was caught. He was a decent size, but Hell, I wouldn't eat out of those lakes... Besides, we were there for fun, and packed light.

We went fishing at Bass Lake on Sunday, and that's out in Holly Springs. We were there from 8 AM to a little passed 3 PM. A few hits. When they came, they hit rather surprisngly hard, but they were very spread out over the duration of time we were there. We used nightcrawlers, mullet we saved from a previous excursion to Cape Fear's Buckhorn Dam, and shrimp purchased at the Grand Asia Market. They bit fairly well, relatively speaking, on the shrimp and worms, but not so much on the mullet.

And all last week, we experimented with new bodies of water to fish out of for us, at least, and didn't catch much, not even bait fish. We've been isolated to only fishing off the bank and shores of the Cape Fear at the boat launch and at the Buckhorn dam, because we have no way of bringing a friend's electric-motor-powered canoe. Yes, I drive a Dodge Caravan, it won't pull much or carry much on top.

This is our first real shot at fishing inland in the summer. The guys I usually go with are Nick (striker52 on the forums) and Alex who is too lazy to sign up here even though we said it's a great place. Nick's been fishing for catfish and bass between here and Virginia, and introduced me to catfishing last summer. I've been hooked since. Alex, he's more of a Michigan fisherman, and prefers walleye fishing. And I'm from a saltwater-fishing end, so I always preferred the beach and catching striped bass, flounder, drum, crabbing, etc.

So that's about all we've had, and our experience behind our fishing techniques. Essentially, we're relatively new to the whole "catfishing in larger bodies of water than Bass Lake and Lochmere Lakes" thing. We're trying to adapt, and doing our best to do that.

Zach.

12. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    Have you been to Sea Depot at the intersection of Chatham and Maynard in Cary. He has much nicer looking fish than the Grand Asia Market.

As far as using shrimp. I don't know if it makes a difference for cats but in saltwater, you'll typically do better with "local" shrimp than the farmed raised Asian shrimp. Now days even many of the shrimp peddlers along the road at the coast sell farm raised as well as local so you have to ask around.

13. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Well, we went out last Friday to York Hill. We caught two nice channel cats on livers. The frogs were peeping, and we got to see a couple of river otters. Over all it was a great night. Can't wait for spring!

14. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Guys, a little embarrased to tell it, but, no need to lie.
    I went to Hyco last Sun. and got severly skunked. Couldn't catch bait. Oh well, it was good to be back on the H20 again. Thanks for the replies Fellas.
    Bigwhiskers