Piebald Deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by flathead willie, Oct 26, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went out in the rain again yesterday afternoon and tried out my new ground blind. I had a deer come past at 20 yards as soon as I set it up. I was still getting it staked down and couldn't get a shot. An hour later four does including one that was almost pure white came by and fed just out of bow range. It had just a few small brown spots on it's left side. All the rest was white. Pretty cool!

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Wow. I'll bet that was pretty cool to see.

3. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have shot one deer that had white feet and everyone said it was a Piebald..I thought it had to be like the one you described am I wrong

4. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like a piebald. They vary a lot but they all have white in places where other deer don't. A friend of mine shot one several years ago that was a 9 pointer. It had one brown place on it's side about the size and shape of a football. They are not albino because they have color pigment and don't have pink eyes. They usually have a shorter, rounder nose.

5. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    my brother-in-law saw one of those in west virginia when they were driving while moving back here from norfolk va

6. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    that is really cool,once while scouting for a hunt on a refuge i watched a piebald doe feeding she was colored like a pinto horse .

7. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Thats cool. I have never heard of a piebald deer. We have a few albino deer around here. One buck is supposed to be a good 12pter. I met the man who received 3 of them in a herd of goats. Still has one that eats with the cows.

8. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    wait, he got a herd of goats and there were 3 deer in it?

9. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas

That is what he told me. There were 3 albinos. This man is an old farmer probably in his 80s. His land backs up to the land I hunt. Maybe I will get to see one of them.

10. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    this is a piebald i shot a few years ago i thought she had snow on her face when i shot her

Attached Files:

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    They will prob have you take that avatar down. Make sure you bring it back up in an attachment sometime or put it in your personal profile so they can be seen. John.

12. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    ok thanks! alot has changed on here in the past few years

13. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    kinda looks like a really really really skinny cow

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    They use to be very common on Ossabaw Island on the Georgia coast when it was privately owned.The owners "West" did not allow them to be shot when the deer were culled,so they lived to reproduce and be much of the deer population.Many had little color but white.Now that the public hunts have been going on for years,they have gone from the most common color to uncommon as they are easily visible and shot.It must be a hereditary thing that the former owners cultivated over many years.It looks like the Government is going to let them become extinct,just as they have been the major reason for many extinctions.My step father use to take my oldest son hunting there as the caretakers were part of his family.My oldest son killed his first deer there at 9 years old with a 30-30 Marlin.That rifle ate him alive from the looks of the bruises he came home with.It sure didn't slow him down.At 41 he is still hunting and killing deer with a 30-30 Marlin.I have a friend and co-grandfather to our grandson who has had them on his property for many years in the "Tiger Ridge" area of Effingham County Georgia.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. dcoynut

dcoynut New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have heard of those but never have seen one....

16. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC, Decoynut.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Regina's uncle killed a piebald doe the other day. I was hoping to get pics of it,i've never seen one in person. Said it had a bunch of white on it. Said it was the first one he had killed also.

18. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    A guy i kno hunts ova in southern ohio..around where i live i live in nw though and he was huntin on monday when it was piss poor..and he shot a piebald buck..it was a 14 pointer..and he is mountin the whole thing and the columbus grove museum is gonna help pay for the monto put it in their museum...