Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Looking good.
Mine is a Heritage Angler 10 sit in. I use a stadium seat that needs to be raised and secured some. I repositioned the 2 rear rod holders and adding outriggers for now. They will flip out of the water for travel and in the water so I don't have to be watching boat traffic. I have a 12 7AH battery in a plastic ammo box, It was online at walmart for $2 more with charger. Added foam so it doesn't move in the box. Just go to get into storage for a depth finder.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good, I surely wish kayak fishing had been a thing back before my knees got so bad.
Thank ya sir.. my knees are terrible but I raised the seat 6 inches and solved that issue, no problem since.. my back let’s me know when to stand up or go to the bank and walk around a bit..

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking good.
Mine is a Heritage Angler 10 sit in. I use a stadium seat that needs to be raised and secured some. I repositioned the 2 rear rod holders and adding outriggers for now. They will flip out of the water for travel and in the water so I don't have to be watching boat traffic. I have a 12 7AH battery in a plastic ammo box, It was online at walmart for $2 more with charger. Added foam so it doesn't move in the box. Just go to get into storage for a depth finder.
Thanks man.. this is temporary it’s a 12v/17ah for fish finder/gps/electronics and I have a battery box/power station for trolling motor and fish finder battery I’ll have it hooked up soon.. I’ll get it titled and registered this fall and build a trolling motor mount so I’ll have it all going by spring..

·
Registered
355 Posts
Awesome rig! I've got a pescador pilot 12 (pedal power), I absolutely LOVE it. Just got it mid summer last year, didn't use it too much then , bit this year I've taken it out a ton and have really become obsessed lol.

I wanted to give it some time before I started rigging it, I knew that my wants would change based on actual experience, so I figured I would use it a bunch then decide how I wanted to really set it up.

One of the biggest things I realized (for what I do at least) is that it is really important for my yak to be quiet, I've been spending a lot of time floating a small clear river for bass lately and any little bang scares every fish away for a 50 yard stretch.

I have a milk crate I'm going to rig up for the front, but I have been looking for ways to pad it, so if I need to grab a tackle box or something out of it, I can do it quietly. I think I'm going to cut some Luan and cover the inside of the crate with that, then I have a 6" roll of thin foam tape I'm going to stick that on the inside of the Luan so the boxes don't bang against it., a little piece on the lid of each box , so they don't bang against each other too.

I also stuck several pieces of that stuff in a couple different places on the yak. so I could have my paddle sitting across my lap , resting on the foam and not be clanging around every time I move. I don't use my pedal in the river, so I usually take my paddle in half and just lay the short section across my lap so I can keep straight in the current.

I'm going to be rigging it up for flatheads also, so I want to get 2 heavy duty rod holders. Still on the fence about how I'm going to rig them.

I'm worried that the little rails beside my legs are not going to be sturdy enough to use for the rod holders. Think I may mount directly to the yak and epoxy over the heads of the screws I use, or install after market type sturdier mounts. The ones that came with the yak would work for just holding a rod, but ive had big flats and blues rock my regular boat on the strike lol, I'm intimidated by what that would be like in the yak...but excited to see!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome rig! I've got a pescador pilot 12 (pedal power), I absolutely LOVE it. Just got it mid summer last year, didn't use it too much then , bit this year I've taken it out a ton and have really become obsessed lol.

I wanted to give it some time before I started rigging it, I knew that my wants would change based on actual experience, so I figured I would use it a bunch then decide how I wanted to really set it up.

One of the biggest things I realized (for what I do at least) is that it is really important for my yak to be quiet, I've been spending a lot of time floating a small clear river for bass lately and any little bang scares every fish away for a 50 yard stretch.

I have a milk crate I'm going to rig up for the front, but I have been looking for ways to pad it, so if I need to grab a tackle box or something out of it, I can do it quietly. I think I'm going to cut some Luan and cover the inside of the crate with that, then I have a 6" roll of thin foam tape I'm going to stick that on the inside of the Luan so the boxes don't bang against it., a little piece on the lid of each box , so they don't bang against each other too.

I also stuck several pieces of that stuff in a couple different places on the yak. so I could have my paddle sitting across my lap , resting on the foam and not be clanging around every time I move. I don't use my pedal in the river, so I usually take my paddle in half and just lay the short section across my lap so I can keep straight in the current.

I'm going to be rigging it up for flatheads also, so I want to get 2 heavy duty rod holders. Still on the fence about how I'm going to rig them.

I'm worried that the little rails beside my legs are not going to be sturdy enough to use for the rod holders. Think I may mount directly to the yak and epoxy over the heads of the screws I use, or install after market type sturdier mounts. The ones that came with the yak would work for just holding a rod, but ive had big flats and blues rock my regular boat on the strike lol, I'm intimidated by what that would be like in the yak...but excited to see!!
Scotty rod holders are a beast.. I have 3 so far and the ones mounted directly to the kayak are rock solid the one on the gear head adapter on the rail has a lot of play in it.. I don’t trust it for a big fish.. I’ll get the model numbers and post them so you can check them out.. yes sound deadening is a major concern for me now.. not so much in the lakes but in a creek or river for sure.. I’ll spend time this winter getting it all ready for next spring..

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

Scotty models 279 & 280 are awesome and rock solid, I also got an extra few of the mount bases (241) for $6.99 and I am mounting 2 of them behind seat and have the 279s in front, I can pop rod holder out and move to rear for suspended drifting, and move to front for anchored suspended fishing..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts