Pictures of Fish Finder

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by SeedTick, May 10, 2006.

1. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Guys, Here are some shots I took last week when me and Top were fishing. Tell me what I'm seeing.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I don't know anything about my new sonar unit and I don't know much more about my digital camera........

Picture 1 was the best arch I got a picture of. Sure would have been nice if it was in focus.

Picture 2 was bait fish?

Picture 3 was a standing tree just below water level. What is that around it?

These pictures were from the stump field below the warm water discharge and some were between that and the actual discharge point.

ST

Attached Files:

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Here are 3 more.

Picture 4 ?

Picture 5 is another tree with ? around.

Picture 6 ?

We were trolling when all these pictures were taken.

Are those blobs bait fish? If a big fish shows up as an arch why doesn't a small fish show up as a little arch?
    Okay guys I'm ready to learn. Thanks

ST

Attached Files:

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Seedtick:

Nice sonar unit: Problem # 1 is you need to have close ups like Picture 2 and 3 for me to give you any kind of a idea.

#2 is clutter maybe a few sticks floating by not sure.

#3 looks like a tree limb or tree sticking up from the bottom and a one rock laying on the bottom behind the tree, and a stump in front of the tree. looks to me like maybe a couple of fish at 10 foot sitting to the right of the tree to above the back rock. and maybe one fish sitting right behind the rock suspended off the bottom.It looks like a fish at 5 foot also and looks like some bait fish mixed in.

Can't tell on echo's on this due to alot of clutter in it. Its hard to take pictures of your fish finder cause when you get home they don't look the same as they did when your out there.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  5. Whistler

State:
    TN
  6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Seedtick:

Here is a couple of shots that might help you, if you could get photos like this and crop them it might work a little bit better for us. If you have the originals send me a couple to boc.pro.staff@gmail.com

send me Pictire 1, 4,5,6.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      46.1 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      34.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Greg, I have examined the photos as you requested. I'm going to go along with Eric on this one. Its difficult to tell without a closeup. If you want more detailed analysis try to get something with a change in bottom depth visible on the graph. Keep them coming and feel free to add them to my Locating Blues thread.

Eric what type of sonar do you have? It looks about like my X-97 or my X-15 very similar. Looks like shad in the first picture?

Greg don't expect to become adapt at interpeting your unit imediately. As time goes on you will realize things about it that you overlooked when you were first using it. You can use Eric's second picture as an example of what I mean. He knows from using it what he's looking at that only comes with time on the water.(I think the large log looking thing in front may be a fish as well)

It took me two years before I got where I could understand what my Hummingbird 3D was telling me, before that I thought it was junk. I now depend on it to locat schools of shad. I hated my X-15 when I first hooked it up as just Sonar but now I love it and am considering selling my X-97. The X-97 has been my staple since I bought it.

Eric how do you interput the size of the fish with your electronics. I know from your posts that you try to catch the fish on your sonar. What type of method do you use to judge size?

I wish I would have snapped a picture of a school of spoonbill I passed over this spring. I didn't think you could tell them from any other fish but I now believe you can. Interesting topic and more fisherman should spend time on the water without their rods and examining their sonar. Wow great pdf Bryan! See ya on the water!

8. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    someday I hope to just have 1/100 of the knowledge contained on this site. I have been fishing for a while, just got my first boat:big_smile: . I have learned so much from boat operation, maintenance, to modifications. I have been struggling with the electronics. I truly am thankful for this site. You don't need to ask questions, you don't even have to make post, just read and research the threads. The BOC is the best and most informative site on the web. Thanks BOC.

9. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Greg,

Do you have the colorline on it set really high? Mine will only pull yellow when its maxed out and so far from what i've seen of mine it doesn't show arches very well when set that high.

Mine shows more a picture like dh's with an exception of color on mine. So far its working great. It has so much more detail than the x51 i was using. Things that looked like bottom structure now show up as colored arches on the finder. Mine is set to where it has more of a blue tint. I have ordered an instructional dvd to work it over one last time to try to bring in the clarity a little more.

10. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here soon will be posting a section just of fishing graphs, thats all it will be on, and study the fish finder to help other people out, when I get it done we will be setting up the new section.

It will be from the beginning of starting the units up to seeing fish. and trying to target your fish that your after.

Bigmagic

I have the X135 unit right now but in the process of getting the LMS 339cDF

Thats a hard question..lol well to be honest with you after fishing with it targeting them and catching the fish I have become to know about the size of fish as soon as I see him if he is a good one or not. That might sound silly but it works, this winter when I located the 75 pound fish that I caught and the three other ones there was a huge difference between the big fish and the rest.

There was four fish sitting right behind a stump on the bottom of the river and we got all four fish off of that stump, 75, 35, 25, 21 after we caught them fish we pulled back over that stump and there was no fish sitting there, I have done this several times and I am sure I just got the fish I was looking at.

Three days later I was scanning that area and about 500 yards from where I found the 75 Pound fish I spotted one fish by itself sitting on a laid down tree, within 15 Minutes he hit and it was a 65 Pounder. My son made me stay there for over a hour after that and we did not catch another fish. but I was sure that fish I marked was the one I caught.

Sometimes I might travel in the boat for a hour before I set up over fish, my son gets upset with me due to the fact he See's fish and he wants to jump right on them. I use to do that but ended up alot of times without catching a darn thing. I truly believe that fish sitting in some of the positions will feed and you learn the non active fish after awhile. Thats just my thought s on it and so far its panned out for me.

Its hard to sit here and explain this to people that don't believe in the sonar units, but if your not going to use them the right way why even have them, I know alot of people look for the structure and thats great if the fish are in them and most of the times they are but I have seen it with no fish sitting in them brush piles too. If I don't see the fish I wont fish it. Guys will go out and buy a 20,000 boat and put a 100.00 fish finder on it , that fish finder is just as important as the boat. and I know there is alot of us that can't afford a good fish finder so we have to deal with it with what we can buy, so thats one of the reasons I am going to start this thread.

I am sure you seen this thread but here is one that I did on current seams and fish finders prior to your thread you did a week ago on here.

Click Here to view post

11. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I look forward to this section. I can see where good equipment and experince make the difference.
    Great article and explaination on your part
    thanks
    Larry

12. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Eric that link is great stuff! I wish more people would spend time learning to use their sonar. Your X-135 is very similar to the X-97 I'm not sure what the difference is exactly. I too would like to upgrade to a color unit but I have three different sonar units hooked up on my boat now. The great thing is using the different units has allowed my to learn so much more than if I had any single one of them. I look forward to hearing from you on this topic. GREAT STUFF!

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Anyone remember the sonar guy from "Down Periscope"???

He could tell what coins were dropped in the "enemy" sub.

DH kinda reminds me of that!!!

:haha:

14. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Greg small fish like shad/crappie that travel in schools will ofter just show as a blob or a haystack or look like a bunch of junk on the screen. If they are holding on top of a channel edge they will often look like an extension of the bottom, especially with a color unit like yours. See ya on the water!

15. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Gentlemen, Your willingness to help overwhelms me. I will do my best to be a good student and I will show my appreciation by learning all I can and then I hope to be able to pass it on. This was my first attempt at taking pictures of my graph and I did learn how to use the zoom:embarassed: so maybe I have more to work with next time.

DH, This will be great! I've talked to Ron (Bigmagic) and he is working on a similar project. There has been a lot of interest on this topic lately by several members. I and several others are eagerly waiting on this one.

I surely appreciate each and every Brother who has given input.

ST

I'm going to go back and read them all again.

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    No one needs the teaching as much as I. My boat is full of depth/fish finders but they are a waste of money IF you do not learn how to use them. I know how to read them, my main problem is I can not remember how to get me back to the main screen, I cant find the temp indication, on occasions, I get so disappointed at times.

17. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Top, we'll have to learn together.

ST

18. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The X107 is a dual frequency depthfinder so your transducer has a very small cone. For freshwater its best to use the 200khz transducer and not the dual frequency 200/50khz, well at least thats what Lowrance recommends. I think if you got the freshwater model, the x102, the screens would look a lot better and more defined and you would have a bigger picture of the bottom. I have been looking at various models from Lowrance for the last month and I still haven't decided which one to buy. My final models to decide from are the x102 and the LMS-332C, not sure if I need the GPS on the screen since I have a handheld that works fine, but The 102 is the best one I have found for the money, the good part is that I can just buy the unit, as my transducer and speed sensor will plug right into the new one.

19. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jason, Yeah the x107 has a dual frequency transducer, the 200khz is 35 degree cone angle and the 50khz is 12 degree cone angle. It has a setting that allows you to run either one by itself or run both at the same time. You can even run split screen showing both individually. Somebody posted the formula and I used it to figure the coverage area and it is roughly a 3 foot diameter for every 5 foot of depth on the 35 degree cone and 1 foot diameter for every 5 foot of depth on the 12 degree cone.
    I may not ever realize any benefit from the 12 degree cone because I never fish any deep water but as I become better at reading this thing I might be able to use it to more accurately pin point a target.

ST

20. Whistler

State:
    TN
    http://www.lowrance.com/Software/PCSoftware/demos.asp

Greg, here's another link for you. Find your depth finder in the list and download the emulator and instructions for how to use it. If it's the same as one other I've seen, you'll be able to play with your depth finder right there on your monitor.